D&D 5E Sneak Attack question

Can a controlled mount make an opportunity attack? I don't remember being told they lose their reactions, so I would tend to rule that they could. That would make them a threat I'd say.

MarkB

Legend
Can a controlled mount make an opportunity attack? I don't remember being told they lose their reactions, so I would tend to rule that they could. That would make them a threat I'd say.
They don't lose their reactions, but they don't have free rein (literally) to make use of them, nor do the rules for controlling a mount include the option to direct them to do so. It's putting it too strongly to say that the mount cannot think for itself while controlled, but it certainly can't act on its own behalf.

However, one section where the rules are somewhat lacking is in describing how one goes about deliberately relinquishing control of a mount in order to allow it to act on its own. Can a player say "I take control of my mount" at the start of their turn, then take their full range of actions, then say "I now relinquish control of my mount" and allow it to take reactions and act on its own initiative (both literally and numerically)? Would it require an action or bonus action to make the transition? Or is the decision made at the start of combat, with no option to then amend it?

Jediking

Explorer
By RAW and RAI, yes Sneak Attack would work

That's a smart Rogue and one of the benefits of being mounted

As a hostile creature (controlled by the DM) if it becomes an issue, do what any smaller creature has learned when fighting a bigger opponent - attack low and kill the mount.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases