D&D 5E So 5 Intelligence Huh

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
It's not thought policing.
It is. Any time which an action declared is "unacceptable" if done for one reason, but is "acceptable" if done for another reason, it is the reason - the thought behind the action - not the action itself which you are policing.
Not having to thought police is why I play with people who understand that stupid = stupid and roleplay it themselves. I don't want to have to be the thought police.
You say you don't have to thought police, but we have just established that there is a reason for a stupid character, being stupid in that moment, to do a particular action - and you've stated that you'd only allow that action upon proof of acceptable reason.

I ask again, would it not save you time to simply assume that the reason is one of an acceptable nature whenever such a reason exists, rather than asking your player to take the time explaining?

ChrisCarlson

First Post
It's not thought policing. Not having to thought police is why I play with people who understand that stupid = stupid and roleplay it themselves. I don't want to have to be the thought police.
If you trust your players to "play stupid" as appropriate, but then you stop play to demand justifications for some actions, that's a paradox. Which is it? Are you confident the barbarian's player has a "validly dumb reason" to turn the dial, or not? You can't have it both ways.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is. Any time which an action declared is "unacceptable" if done for one reason, but is "acceptable" if done for another reason, it is the reason - the thought behind the action - not the action itself which you are policing.

I don't do that. I don't have to since I have good players who play stupid as stupid and ROLEPLAY.

I ask again, would it not save you time to simply assume that the reason is one of an acceptable nature whenever such a reason exists, rather than asking your player to take the time explaining?

I don't assume. The assumption could be wrong. Also, the player isn't "explaining", he's roleplaying.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If you trust your players to "play stupid" as appropriate, but then you stop play to demand justifications for some actions, that's a paradox. Which is it?

Neither. I said I WOULD HAVE ASKED in your example, not that I do ask. Your example is not the way my players play the game. I don't have to ask players who roleplay stupid as stupid, and my players do.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Then you have me at a bit of a loss. To help me see what you mean, would you mind presenting the same brief interaction in a format more fitting to the style you and your table play?

Thanks in advance.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Then you have me at a bit of a loss. To help me see what you mean, would you mind presenting the same brief interaction in a format more fitting to the style you and your table play?

Thanks in advance.

Take your example, but the player actually roleplays turning it to S for smart instead of having to be asked.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, if a 5 int character is prevented from turning the dial to S, is a 17 Int character prevented from turning the dial to T?

That failed argument again? For at least the third time, there is a big difference between being unable to play a PC as smart as the sheet says because you are simply unable to, and intentionally playing a PC as being smarter than he is. The latter is the equivalent of cheating.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
That failed argument again? For at least the third time, there is a big difference between being unable to play a PC as smart as the sheet says because you are simply unable to, and intentionally playing a PC as being smarter than he is. The latter is the equivalent of cheating.

So is turning the dial to "T" an invalid action declaration for a character of Int 17?

What about Int 8?

Satyrn

First Post
Not an argument. I'm curious about how DMs who run this way handle this. I mean this. I'm curious if I can adapt what I learn from you (and everyone else here) to the way I do things.

If you're helping one player properly roleplay his dumb character, how do you help another player properly roleplay his genius character?

Remove ads