D&D 5E So 5 Intelligence Huh

ChrisCarlson

First Post
Take your example, but the player actually roleplays turning it to S for smart instead of having to be asked.
So, as part of his declared action to turn the dial, he is also verbalizing and narrating his character's "dumb logic" idea as justification for all to hear? I see.

Seems a solid way to make sure no zinger roleplaying moments, like the one in my example, can ever play out at your table. And for that I feel bad for you and your players. Truly. Because its instances like the one in my example that we play for: memorable interactions, joyous revelations/discoveries, and clever roleplaying moments that make everyone smile and laugh.

Your method would appear to have killed any chance of that happening.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I don't do that. I don't have to since I have good players who play stupid as stupid and ROLEPLAY.

I don't assume. The assumption could be wrong. Also, the player isn't "explaining", he's roleplaying.
It appears as though you are saying that the following statements:

Player: "Ragos the Dull approaches the dials, his face scrunched up in a comical exaggeration of pensive expression, and turns the last dial slowly considering each character that appears upon it before moving on to the next. He stops if the dial shows 'S'."

and

Player: "Ragos the Dull approaches the dials, turning the last dial until it shows 'S' while saying "S means smart, and puzzles take smart to beat, so must be S, right guys?"

Only contain one, the latter, that is an example of "ROLEPLAY".

Is that true?
Would you not, as it seemed you were indicating you would previously, request a player making the former statement to explain why the character stopped at 'S' rather than something else?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
So, as part of his declared action to turn the dial, he is also verbalizing and narrating his character's "dumb logic" idea as justification for all to hear? I see.

Seems a solid way to make sure no zinger roleplaying moments, like the one in my example, can ever play out at your table. And for that I feel bad for you and your players. Truly. Because its instances like the one in my example that we play for: memorable interactions, joyous revelations/discoveries, and clever roleplaying moments that make everyone smile and laugh.

Your method would appear to have killed any chance of that happening.

There's nothing wrong with my method and there's nothing grand about your method where I'd have to hope someone would ask my why I did what I did so that I could make my "zinger" reveal.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It appears as though you are saying that the following statements:

Player: "Ragos the Dull approaches the dials, his face scrunched up in a comical exaggeration of pensive expression, and turns the last dial slowly considering each character that appears upon it before moving on to the next. He stops if the dial shows 'S'."

and

Player: "Ragos the Dull approaches the dials, turning the last dial until it shows 'S' while saying "S means smart, and puzzles take smart to beat, so must be S, right guys?"

Only contain one, the latter, that is an example of "ROLEPLAY".

Is that true?

No. What I said was that it was better than, "I turn the dial to S." and leaving it at that. Your example is also better than that.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
There's nothing wrong with my method and there's nothing grand about your method...
Aren't you one who is fond of calling out strawmen? I don't recall telling you your method was 'wrong'. Only pointing out how it impacts certain potential opportunities in play.

...where I'd have to hope someone would ask my why I did what I did so that I could make my "zinger" reveal.
One method presents at least a fair chance. The other kills it at inception. I prefer the former over the latter. But that's just me. Again, I never said your way was wrong. Just trying to understand it.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
No. What I said was that it was better than, "I turn the dial to S." and leaving it at that. Your example is also better than that.
So, to be clear, if a player says "I turn the dial to S," you would ask for an explanation why the character is doing that?

But if they add of flourish that doesn't actually explain what their reason, if any, for the action is you wouldn't ask for an explanation why the character is doing that?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Aren't you one who is fond of calling out strawmen? I don't recall telling you your method was 'wrong'. Only pointing out how it impacts certain potential opportunities in play.

One method presents at least a fair chance. The other kills it at inception. I prefer the former over the latter. But that's just me. Again, I never said your way was wrong. Just trying to understand it.

A fair chance at what? There was nothing really good about the zinger reveal. At least if the player says, "S stands for smart and you have to be smart to do this, so I turn the dial to S.", you will absolutely get to say your piece. That's far better than hoping and praying someone at the table asks you so you don't lose it to the ether.

ChrisCarlson

First Post
A fair chance at what? There was nothing really good about the zinger reveal. At least if the player says, "S stands for smart and you have to be smart to do this, so I turn the dial to S.", you will absolutely get to say your piece. That's far better than hoping and praying someone at the table asks you so you don't lose it to the ether.
I appreciate you explaining your (superior) playstyle. I get it now. Thanks.

Remove ads