• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, About the Dejada...?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Wouldn't the feat that gets rid of the load requirement "fix" that for you?

Otherwise, I don't think the "twin fisted shooter" feat works.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Wouldn't the feat that gets rid of the load requirement "fix" that for you?

Otherwise, I don't think the "twin fisted shooter" feat works.

If you mean "Speed Loader", that's crossbows only, and it doesn't address the question of how many hands it takes.

I'm not sure how my DM will handle this, but actually I have a feeling that a dextrous person could easily load a sling one-handed.

bganon

Explorer
I think the dejada is better than a sling because Dark Sun tries to encourage simple "primitive" weapon use. And the sling is generally a pretty subpar weapon, even with the damage upgrade. With only d6 damage, some form of crossbow is pretty much always a better option, and anyone with ranged military proficiency will be using bows.

As for the carrikal: brutal 2 simply puts it on par with the battleaxe. The two deal exactly the same average damage. The battleaxe is arguably better since it'll crit for more (making the feat that gives all axes high crit more valuable) and it's versatile whereas for some strange reason the carrikal isn't.

I can't think of a Dark Sun weapon that's really unambiguously better than any of the options that appeared in PH or AV.

D'karr

Adventurer
I can't think of a Dark Sun weapon that's really unambiguously better than any of the options that appeared in PH or AV.

Which I think is a great thing because it encourages taking weapons for flavor reasons rather than that they are obviously superior mechanically.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
(The dejada is a dark sun weapon that's exactly like a sling, except it does more damage.)

Is there some possible obscure reason for this, or is the dejada a kind of incognito sling errata?

My best bet is that the original sling is suffering from "rogue weapon tax", which is what makes it so awful. See also hand crossbows (compare with crossbow), shortswords(compare with rapier), rapiers (before they were changed into military weapons) and shuriken (with just about anything) - all weapons that anyone avoids unless they have a bunch of supporting feats or are a rogue or a halfling.

Daggers are pretty much the only weapon to escape the tax.

So, imagine if you will that the original sling has the keyword "rogue weapon" on it, which has the sole effect of adding the weapon to the rogue's list of known weapons. In order to accomodate this extra keyword, it's damage die is reduced by 1.

Unfortunately, the rogue weapon tag doesn't help anyone who isn't a rogue, meaning that such weapons generally end up being pretty terrible for most people.

Ghost0

First Post
No one has brought up the whole "extending the range of explosive alchemical mixtures" question I see, with the dejada.

I play an artificer in my group's game and the DM dropped one of these dejadas in a parcel thinking it might be useful to load in some alchemical items that I'm also focused on using. The problem is that alchemical items have their own independent attacks. Proficiency bonus, enhancement bonus and anything else you can stack on to the dejada shouldn't affect the to-hit of an alchemical item and even though it mentions that it can extend the range of items, it doesn't explicitly say that if you load it with an alchemical item that that item takes on the range of the dejada. It also says the word explosive (which isn't a game term, it would be better if it singled out "volatile" which is a term). So, if I can use the dejada to extend the range, can I not extend the range of, say, a tanglefoot bag, which doesn't explode?

I just wish they would be more clear in the options they are presenting with new items/weapons and this is an example of how they just make things sometimes without considering their practical use.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Most alchemical items have an option to make them as ammo and a dejada has a better range than a sling, which pretty much covers the flavour text.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads