So any bets when the first books will show up?

hargert

First Post
So most times when books (or most anything) is scheduled to release the stores usually have to get the product early so they can ensure all locations have it for the release day. Well there are usually several places that put them out early for people to buy either via ignorance or an attempt to sell more. So now that we are 18 days out any bets on when the person with the first books in hand show up?

Lord Nat

First Post
I am thinking we will see the first people with books by the 27th. Likely a few screw ups in stores and some people working in a book store stealing a copy from the back.

I think we will see a scan by the 30th.

I will be shocked I don't have it downloaded before my pre-order comes in.

Henry

Autoexreginated
First of all, ladies and gents, let's not make this a discussion about illegal downloading. I understand your point, though.

That said, it will probably happen that a few wind up with purchased copies before the 6th, but based on some comments over in the Keep on the Shadowfell thread, the three core books sound like they're being shipped to most major outlets with a "hard" sell date, so the majority of vendors will probably only be putting it out on the 6th.

Cadfan

First Post
The books are being shipped several days in advance, with instructions to the stores to hold the books until the actual release date of the 6th. This is why so many gaming stores are offering preorder discounts and promising that you will get the books exactly on the 6th. They can be certain about that because they'll have the books in their back room several days before then.

This is also why we'll probably see people getting copies of the books in advance. If the books were only being sold at Borders or Barnes and Nobles, there probably wouldn't be much of a problem. But a lot of gaming stores are pretty flaky, and will forget to do what they agreed to do, will let their favorite customers buy books early, or will leave them somewhere their staff members can read them.

hargert

First Post
Yes I am not talking about any illegal downloading, just people manageing to break the street date.

Now with that said if I was in a Borders and ran across a copy of them I dont think I could not buy them even having them pre-ordered for about 4 months now. I might pass on the DMG if it is just "how to run a game" book with no rules or anything I need to have.

Lord Nat

First Post
Cadfan said:
The books are being shipped several days in advance, with instructions to the stores to hold the books until the actual release date of the 6th. This is why so many gaming stores are offering preorder discounts and promising that you will get the books exactly on the 6th. They can be certain about that because they'll have the books in their back room several days before then.

This is also why we'll probably see people getting copies of the books in advance. If the books were only being sold at Borders or Barnes and Nobles, there probably wouldn't be much of a problem. But a lot of gaming stores are pretty flaky, and will forget to do what they agreed to do, will let their favorite customers buy books early, or will leave them somewhere their staff members can read them.

I know the main store in my area "The Source: Games and Comics" has copies in.
They are letting people look crack them as well to read the books (I was planing to head down there today to check it out). They are planing for a midnight party for people to buy them.

I will not be getting them there tho as Barns and Nobel is much cheaper ($52 bucks for all 3) and I dislike the owner of the store greatly (We differ on how one treats competition (plus really no one likes him, not even the people who work for him).
I think if anyone is going to have a real copy before D-Day it will be a grab and run from there.

hargert

First Post
I find that the big chains tend to leak books more then the local gaming shop. Think about it to a large chain D&D is minor at best. Also they tend to be staffed by low wage fill in labor who are much more likely to just put out whatever is in boxes in the back and not care. The game shop is usually run by the owner who has a big investment in the store and does not want to get one of his better selling suppliers pissed at him and cut off his product. While yes they may let you look if you are a regular there I dobt they would sell it early and take the risk for anything other then a good personal friend.

keterys

First Post
I really wish I had a good local game store. Closest one is like three towns over, so I'm ordering online and just hoping.

I'd really like to get the rules as soon as possible so I can get working and fixing stats on my monsters, and get players looking at the books for playing.

Remove ads