• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So, anyone looking at Mongoose Runequest II?

ruemere

Adventurer
Could you let us know what specifically is there to like about RQII? I've read the review, compared against my BRP (and RQ) experiences, and found the system rather unappealing (as compared to Harn system, for example).

My gripes:
- this is not a system for jumbo jet pilots (high failure chance for routine tasks)
- no mention of setting - I loved feel of Glorantha and I believe that setting-less approach should be reserved for systems designed to be flexible and simple (Savage Worlds)
- no mention about GM-specific things - RQ is not your typical heroic kill-and-loot system, one would expect some guiding advice

So, could you please share your positive impressions with us?

Regards,
Ruemere

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The impressions I've got are only just basic enough to know that I'm going to seriously considering purchasing it - a situation I wasn't in with MRQ1.

The original RQ2 is still probably my all-time favourite game system, and I've used it for glorantha, for sci-fi, for dark sun and for empire of the petal throne very happily, and I'm sure MRQ2 will have some things which it doesn't do as well IMHO. However...

I like the sound of the way they have divided up common magic (aka battlemagic), divine magic, sorcery and shamanism. The sorcery and shamanism sound like useful additional subsystems.

I like the idea of having 'combat manoeuvres' which are additional combat benefits that can be chosen if your attack (or your parry) is significantly better than your opponent - and if it is better by two or more levels you get two or more combat manoeuvres to apply. It sounds like an option that could be very easily slotted into other systems (like my beloved RQ2).

Of course, at the moment I've not read it or played it, and I'm interested to hear whether others have done both and found it interesting or otherwise.

Cheers

Votan

Explorer
I like the sound of the way they have divided up common magic (aka battlemagic), divine magic, sorcery and shamanism. The sorcery and shamanism sound like useful additional subsystems.

I have some surprisingly positive memories of the original Rune quest. I do not remember ever playing it but I thought the way they described magic was exceptionally flavorful. I do seem to remember fantasy Europe as the setting . . .

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
That would have been RQ3 then, the one released by Avalon Hill. I had the rules but didn't like what they did with it (less flavourful than the RQ2 based on Glorantha IMO)

Psychman

Explorer
Could you let us know what specifically is there to like about RQII? I've read the review, compared against my BRP (and RQ) experiences, and found the system rather unappealing (as compared to Harn system, for example).

My gripes:
- this is not a system for jumbo jet pilots (high failure chance for routine tasks)

A starting character gets a base skill level in a common skill of 2stats added together, plus any culture bonus, plus profession bonus (probably 10 each) plus a share of 250 pts to spend as wished, maximum 30 per skill. Advanced skills get opened by professions or cultures. Common skills can be up to around 70% by the end of character generation with average stat rolls.

- no mention of setting - I loved feel of Glorantha and I believe that setting-less approach should be reserved for systems designed to be flexible and simple (Savage Worlds)
There are references to Glorantha through the book but it's not completely tied in. The most telling are that in Glorantha characters get starting magics, and the cults section provide an Orlanth cult in it's examples. The cults section already starts pointing towards Heroquesting and some cult and heroic abilities are specifically listed in the cult section as being gained through Heroquest. There is even a basic rule framework which I am sure will be expanded upon, clearly modelled after HeroQuest's design of Heroquests.

- no mention about GM-specific things - RQ is not your typical heroic kill-and-loot system, one would expect some guiding advice

So, could you please share your positive impressions with us?

Regards,
Ruemere
The last point is still true, and I hope the Glorantha book will open this more and give advice such as turned up in the 3rd edition Glorantha book re PCs being merchant adventurers etc.

It is worth a fresh look, however, particularly with the Combat maneuvres.

Last edited:

yojimbouk

Explorer

I always thought that BRP/RQ assumed that default skill chances were under stressful situations such as combat. Otherwise you got a bonus to your skill. I do admit that the fumble chances are still a little high in such circumstances (1% at besy)

There are quite a few people that like RQ but don't like Glorantha. There's always been a non-Glorantha component to RQ from the Gateway products of RQ1/2 to the Fantasy Earth of RQ3. MRQ is just following this trend by making Glorantha an implied setting of the core rules rather than an explicit setting.

I think this has always been a shortcoming of RQ in that RQ adventures are different from a D&D dungeon bash. The GM advice on what constitutes a "typical" RQ adventure has always been poor. My impression is that RQII doesn't really change that.

James.

ruemere

Adventurer
Thanks for the information. Regarding the rest of issues - my impressions were based on extremely dated experiences and review at RPGNet.

Regards,
Ruemere

Remove ads