So, Dark Sun: It's officially out. What do you think of it?

Final thought:

Hairless male dwarves but hairy dwarven women, goliaths as half-giant stand-ins, feral evil hobbits...

But no gnomes?!

WotC needs to bring some gnome lovers in house and rectify this situation asap. Combined with the lack of gnomes in Essentials, they have finally gone too far!

Gnome lovers, we must not stand for this!

Tony Vargas

Legend
You need to come up with a better rallying cry than 'gnome lovers,' but, yeah, I'm with you. The gnome has always been a cool but under-apreciated race.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
$40 MSRP, though. Dang. Plus $20 for the Creature Guide. That is a lot of money, IMO.

Yeah. I got the Dark Sun guide, Psionic Power, the Dresden Files world book, and The Scarlet Empress Returns for Exalted, all in one trip.

$152.

Ow.

The clerk at Dream Wizards, though, looked happy as a clam, especially when my friend then spent his $123.

Brad

Pbartender

First Post
I like how one of the main adventure hooks is a note calling on all adventurers or whatever... on Athas, where most people can't read.

I can't help but think that I'd use this hook as a trap... Someone is hunting illegal literates, and this is how he lures them in.

Stormtalon

First Post
Looking more at the DSCG, I'm very, very tempted to make a Thri-Kreen Bloodbond Seeker, using chatchkas for fun and mayhem....

A quick reflavor of some of the powers and I'll have a mobile, desert-prowling controller of DOOM!

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Never knew much about DS until now (I've always been a PS fan), but I'm totally psyched to play a dray usually-preserver sorcerer with a southern drawl. One of my group members is a DS fan and has promised to run it for us...sometime in the next few months. I only have one comment...

DS falls right in with most D&D settings with regards to tacky names. C'mon, mul? Thri-kreen? Are ya kidding me? Well, it is D&D after all. :lol:

Mad Hamish

First Post
as I recall it Thri-kreen predate dark sun as monsters.
Mul as a name for a sterile half-breed makes sense especially iirc and they were largely slaves so being disparaging suits.

Obryn

Hero
as I recall it Thri-kreen predate dark sun as monsters.
Indeed they do.

Monster Manual II for AD&D (1e) to be precise! And perhaps in an adventure even before then, though I couldn't tell you which one.

Although they hadn't gotten their names yet, they have chatkchas ("throwing wedges") and gythkas (just called "polearms" with a note about them working as glaives and spears). Also, they had an established taste for elves even back then.

-O

Remove ads