Pathfinder 1E So far not impressed with Pathfinder

Starfox

Hero
The new Dispel Magic is made more to remove condition-infusing spells like charms and holds. The anti-buff function of yore was very hard on the DM, whos
had to recalculate values in the middle of the fight. Pathfinder compensated by nerfing spell durations instead.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I honestly can't remember ever having seen someone cast Dispel Magic.

It depends somewhat on the type of enemies you're fighting, and whether you're telegraphing to the players that they have active buff effects. My party just leveled to 13th in my PF game, and I'm having trouble challenging them with standard monsters. I'm going to need to start throwing in some spellcasters, I think, so dispel magic may come up more.

In the last 3.X game I played there was a decent amount of spellcasting enemies, and dispel magic got a lot of use on both sides.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It depends somewhat on the type of enemies you're fighting, and whether you're telegraphing to the players that they have active buff effects.
It does, but it also depends on a variety of other things.

For example, whether the campaign has enough magic that it's practical for a caster to learn/memorize dispel. Whether the PCs play casters at all. Whether the caster level of an enemy is likely to be relative to the player character.

But really, there are two main issues. One is that it's generally better to memorize spells that you are confident that you can get a benefit out of. That's why Magic Missile is king. The other is that while this game is a fantasy, it takes real-world time, and players gravitate naturally towards simpler and less time-consuming options. I know the latter is one of the main reasons I don't use Dispel.

ggeilman

First Post
I see it used more often to remove negative effects on the players rather than a debuffer, but it has always been a commonly used spell. Thus far we haven't been high enough level in PF to use it much so hard to comment on the good/bad of the changes.

TwoSix

It does, but it also depends on a variety of other things.
It always does, doesn't it? :)
For example, whether the campaign has enough magic that it's practical for a caster to learn/memorize dispel. Whether the PCs play casters at all. Whether the caster level of an enemy is likely to be relative to the player character.
True, it will almost certainly be less deployed if either a) unavailable or b) a weak strategic decision.
But really, there are two main issues. One is that it's generally better to memorize spells that you are confident that you can get a benefit out of. That's why Magic Missile is king. The other is that while this game is a fantasy, it takes real-world time, and players gravitate naturally towards simpler and less time-consuming options. I know the latter is one of the main reasons I don't use Dispel.
For the first reason, I think level is a big determinant. At 5-8th level, you may not have the slots to dedicate to it. But by 9th on, I almost always have a slot dedicated to dispel magic. I think the only case in which I wouldn't is if I was a arcane caster with either divine or warlock dependable backup. (Divine casters are almost better off with the dispel, due to relative ease in cranking up caster level and ability to swap it if it doesn't get used). Once I get to 14th-15th, GDM goes in a sixth level slot, no question.

The second reason is much more salient. I've held back from casting it as an area effect for those exact reasons. (Big boss? Sorry, gonna have to suck it up, DM. No scintillating scales for you.)

Ahnehnois

First Post
For the first reason, I think level is a big determinant.
I agree. I've played at the higher levels but overall, the bulk of play in my games is below the level where a 3rd level spell slot is a throwaway.

The second reason is much more salient. I've held back from casting it as an area effect for those exact reasons.
Too much bookkeeping. I would file that under problems with the system.

TwoSix

I agree. I've played at the higher levels but overall, the bulk of play in my games is below the level where a 3rd level spell slot is a throwaway.
Sounds fun. E6 is probably my favorite d20 variant, but my 3.X group prefers the mid-to-high levels. I promised them we'd try to get to 20th in this campaign, so I'm thinking they might burn out on high level play. :)

Too much bookkeeping. I would file that under problems with the system.
A flaw in both 3e and 4e, sadly.

ggeilman

First Post
I'd never consider Dispel Magic as a throw away. Too valuable a spell, but YMMV. It is probably the third most valuable 3rd level spell.

Remove ads