Pathfinder 1E So far not impressed with Pathfinder

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
That is my concern with the system. It is also why in 3.5 we cut off the expansions when Players Handbook II came out. From that point on it became a different game IMHO. Pathfinder seems to be an extension of the end of 3.5 rather than its core.
That was exactly my thought on Pathfinder's relationship to 3.5. IMO Trailblazer took a different tack, going back the 3.5's core and rebalanced around that power level instead of taking 3.5's end-life and balance around that power level. Trailblazer is a fairly inexpensive .pdf and perfectly compatible with 3.x adventures. Trailblazer just finished its successful Kickstarter project and published its monster book.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
From there on we got the march towards 4E which was a total failure.
Don't bury the lede, man, just tell us how you really feel!
Jeesh, this again? Thanks, but can we even concentrate on PATHFINDER in a PATHFINDER thread without the same stupid commentary about 4e.
Personally, I have found 4e to be mechanically robust, engaging, and fun.
I read ggeilman's post as "the march was a total failure", and not "4e was a total failure", but I do see how you three interpreted this way.

I mean, it's very possible that's what he means. In the original post, he said: "It was about this time we as a group stacked up all of our 4E books and put them on the shelf and went back to 3.5." I think that, since his group played 4e, he might just mean that it didn't work out. I'll admit he could be slamming 4e, and if so, yeah, there's no call for that slam in this way ("4e was a total failure"). Just thought he might mean something else, and thought I'd point it out. As always, play what you like :)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
That was exactly my thought on Pathfinder's relationship to 3.5. IMO Trailblazer took a different tack, going back the 3.5's core and rebalanced around that power level...
Which power level?

The prep-caster power level, the fighter-monk power level, or something in the vast between?

I mean, it's very possible that's what he means. In the original post, he said: "It was about this time we as a group stacked up all of our 4E books and put them on the shelf and went back to 3.5." I think that, since his group played 4e, he might just mean that it didn't work out. I'll admit he could be slamming 4e, and if so, yeah, there's no call for that slam in this way ("4e was a total failure"). Just thought he might mean something else, and thought I'd point it out. As always, play what you like :)
It's hard to tell isn't it, because ggeilman's maybe-4e-slam was a non-sequitor within an intimidating wall-o-text. *shrug*

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Which power level?

The prep-caster power level, the fighter-monk power level, or something in the vast between?
There is still a vast in between, but weak classes were brought up a bit and the casters were brought down a bit so the "in between" is made smaller. Trailblazer didn't try to 4e-ify the classes to be equally effective in a combat.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
It's hard to tell isn't it, because ggeilman's maybe-4e-slam was a non-sequitor within an intimidating wall-o-text. *shrug*
The quote of ggeilman's that preceded the three replies I quoted was three lines in length. That's where the "maybe-4e-slam" was. Not an intimidating "wall-o-text" for me. As always, play what you like :)

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
The quote of ggeilman's that preceded the three replies I quoted was three lines in length. That's where the "maybe-4e-slam" was. Not an intimidating "wall-o-text" for me. As always, play what you like :)
My bad, I don't know why I thought the maybe-4e-slam was in the OP. I blame my long week.

...Anyway, ggeilman's whole attitude is kinda bewildering to me, even aside from what may or may not be a 4e slam. I had a suggestion or two, but somehow I don't think he'll want to hear it -- so I'm off to prep for Sunday's game!

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
My bad, I don't know why I thought the maybe-4e-slam was in the OP. I blame my long week.

...Anyway, ggeilman's whole attitude is kinda bewildering to me, even aside from what may or may not be a 4e slam. I had a suggestion or two, but somehow I don't think he'll want to hear it -- so I'm off to prep for Sunday's game!
Yeah, it sounds like less system anyways, and more like group dynamics. Sent some XP your way... have fun with your game, and as always, play what you like :)

Remove ads