Pathfinder 1E So far not impressed with Pathfinder

ggeilman

First Post
I think I will give the party a NPC rogue for time being until someone wants to fill the role. As for not being elected, he is a duly elected officer of the club and has the respect of the entire club.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
OK, I think we're missing some nuances here.

When you said group leader, I think most of us figured some player at the table taking on the role of group leader to try to whip his fellow players into shape. I think shidaku was working on that assumption and that the players around the table most likely didn't decide to vote on his being a leader - he just decided to take on a leadership role.

But it sounds like you're referring to the group leader as an elected officer of a gaming club. Did he come to the gaming group to try to help mediate the problem as an outsider?

But we could also be looking at a mix of issue here again. He's an elected club official, participating in the campaign you're running, taking on a leadership role there that he wasn't elected to do within that group context. See where I'm going here? Just because he was respected enough to be an officer in the club doesn't mean he has the respect of the gamers at the table for that particular issue. They may not have elected him to act as group leader within that particular context, they may have elected him because he's the one who they think will do well running game club officers' meetings and acting as the figurehead of the club.

ggeilman

First Post
He has been a group leader at the table by popular choice for over 10 years now. How do you think he got to be an officer? He let one of the newbies lead for the last few months who assumed the role on his own and that is when thing started falling apart.

Hussar

Legend
pathfinder rogue is less useless then a 3e rogue but still not a worthwhile member of the party most of the time. I've ran some modules with pretty high trap DC's and the party had no trouble at all with the ranger detecting them all and then just using common sense to bypass the traps in most cases or at worst using a summoned monster trigger them harmlessly.

No one needs a rogue to disable traps when they have a summon monster 1

But... but... but... I've been told repeatedly, by people swearing up and down, that a wizard can NEVER replace a rogue. :p

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
But... but... but... I've been told repeatedly, by people swearing up and down, that a wizard can NEVER replace a rogue. :p
The rogue is there to handle the 14th and higher trap of the day, of course. And to throw alchemist's fire at zombies.

S

Sunseeker

He has been a group leader at the table by popular choice for over 10 years now. How do you think he got to be an officer? He let one of the newbies lead for the last few months who assumed the role on his own and that is when thing started falling apart.

Since this topic seems to be going nowhere..

Pathfinder is not your problem. There is clearly dysfunction in your group. Why that is? I don't know. Maybe your group is just too darn big. You don't seem to be having fun, the "group leader" doesn't seem to be having fun, and that is setting the tone for the rest of the players, maybe that's why. I highly suggest you ALL adapt your playstyles, or you find something else to play, because clearly what you've got going isn't working for you.

ggeilman

First Post
I thank all for their input. Although I have already cut the group size down from 10-13 to 8, perhaps I need to limit it to 6. We have made some changes and if they don't work we may just have to do that. Correct, the topic is spinning its wheels, time to close it.

I thank all for their input. Although I have already cut the group size down from 10-13 to 8, perhaps I need to limit it to 6. We have made some changes and if they don't work we may just have to do that. Correct, the topic is spinning its wheels, time to close it.

pathfinder, like D&D 3rd edition is intended for groups of 4 players+1 DM. Higher numbers are possible with some groups, but since this one is clearly not working well you should limit it to 4 players who want to play together, and have them agree on which role each is to play in game. If you're not experienced in Pathfinder you might consider only using the core book rules, thus eliminating much of the problems with power creep, which is almost as bad in Pathfinder as it is in D&D.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Y
I GM-d Pathfinder two years ago for about 7 months, and while the campaign overall was wildly successful (beyond what I could have ever hoped for), by the end of it, I was close to reaching "max capacity" for managing the game--and the party was only 8th level. I made a comment on these boards that I finally understood why the "old school revival" movement was in vogue, because "rulings, not rules" makes for a much faster, less stressful game for the GM.

Oh I couldn't agree more! It really seems to me that the 'art' of GMing has been diminished in an effort to make the 'perfect' game. GMs have the responsibility to make rulings in the game just like they have the responsibility to gain and keep the trust of their players.

Remove ads