D&D (2024) So, has anyone actually PLAYED the Expert classes?

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I suspect few people have such an issue with the spell schools as you do. Or at the very least that WotC has not seen or heard the same amount of issues from enough people to feel the need to reorganize them all.

But who knows? Maybe they will. We will just have to wait and see.
Because only wizards have had to care until now? Now that they are going to be everywhere everybody is going to have an opinion.

Because only wizards have had to care until now? Now that they are going to be everywhere everybody is going to have an opinion.
I'm very much in the camp that "spell schools make a lot of worldbuilding sense as a part of the way most wizards see the world - but they are a structure imposed by wizards to categorise reality not a part of actual reality. I don't want to have to worry about that nonsense as a general thing for most casting classes."

niklinna

satisfied?
??

I'm not sure I understand what it is you're saying here.
Only wizards have had to care until now. But now, bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, warlocks, rangers, arcane fighters, arcane rogues, monks, artificers...pretty much everybody is going to have to deal with spell schools now.

Remathilis

Legend
Only wizards have had to care until now. But now, bards, clerics, druids, sorcerers, warlocks, rangers, arcane fighters, arcane rogues, monks, artificers...pretty much everybody is going to have to deal with spell schools now.
Arcane Trickster and Eldritch Knights had to care previously...

Eldritch Knight
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the abjuration and evocation spells on the wizard spell list.

Arcane Trickster
Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher. You know three 1st-level wizard spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the enchantment and illusion spells on the wizard spell list.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
GMs needed to care for lots of reasons depending on the edition. A wall made with an illusion spell conjuration spell & evocation spell will all behave differently. conjuration spells tended to do less damage than evocation but bypasses SR or targeted an unusual save. EK was already noted. Also arcane trickster was limited to illusion & enchantment spells

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
What do the classes have to do with it though? It's the players who are the ones who might deal with spell schools, and my point to Yaarel was that few to no players have seemed to have issues with what spells went into which schools. So their point that the schools had to be "fixed" and made clearer seemed to me to be overstating things.

Could a school reorganization occur? Sure. But does it seem like it's near the top of the list of things WotC needs to get on for the new books? My feeling is no.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
GMs needed to care for lots of reasons depending on the edition. A wall made with an illusion spell conjuration spell & evocation spell will all behave differently. conjuration spells tended to do less damage than evocation but bypasses SR or targeted an unusual save. EK was already noted. Also arcane trickster was limited to illusion & enchantment spells

If D&D is going the school path it needs to start describing how schools are different.

Things created with evocation and abjuration are pure magic and are subject to anti-magic, spell resistance, dispels, and disjunctions.
Things created with conjuration are real, summoned from somewhere else, aand are subject to banishment and reality.
Things created with illusion are either nor real or made with shadow stuff and are subject to disbelief.
Things created with transmutation are transformations of real things and are subject to anti-magic, spell resistance, dispels, and disjunctions.

Last edited:

Remove ads