• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So how do you pronounce 'dweomer'?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I've been playing for 20-some years, and I've always pronounced it
in-cor-RECT-ly. :D
(Actually, I've always avoided pronouncing it.)

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
You know how they pronounce Eomer in the LotR movies? I would rhyme dweomer with that. The eo vowel combination in Anglo-Saxon was pronounced sort of like this: AY-oh, but run together sort of fast.

Though by Chaucer's time "dwimmer" would have been the more common pronunciation.

And I just have to take this opportunity to say that dweomer is a totally cool word.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Plane Sailing said:
[UPDATE 2001-10-01] Tolkein uses 'Dwimmerlaik' as a contemptuous title for the lord of the Nazgul. This appears to be a way of saying 'necromancer', given gedwimer = sorcery and lic = corpse.

I think in Tolkien's use it's supposed to mean "animate dead", actually... which works with the roots you give.

Buttercup said:
You know how they pronounce Eomer in the LotR movies? I would rhyme dweomer with that. The eo vowel combination in Anglo-Saxon was pronounced sort of like this: AY-oh, but run together sort of fast.

Though by Chaucer's time "dwimmer" would have been the more common pronunciation.

And I just have to take this opportunity to say that dweomer is a totally cool word.

Though I've only skimmed this thread, and can't be sure that the answer I liked the most in the thread I started about this sometime last year is here, I think that Buttercup's reply is pretty much the way I like to say it.

To be honest, it's not something I commonly use in game, but I like her take on it, and it's usually the way I think I have pronounced it.

Mercule

Adventurer
Wish I had a citation for this, but I did run across an entry for it in a large dictionary a few years back. The pronounciation given was:

DWEE mer

The 'o' is silent.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads