• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So I decided last night I'm going to GenCon...

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Ok, my girlfriend was the one that brought up the subject but I said, "LETS GO!" Place to stay appears to be coming together. Yeah! Anyone else going last minute?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
I went on the spur-of-the-moment last year, and that was part of the fun! I decided the weekend before to go, got the OK from the missus, got my brother to throw in, too. We rented a car, hit the road at 2pm Friday, got to Indy at 2am, gamed all day Saturday with a short dealer hall run in the morning, got a few hours of sleep and drove home Sunday.

Took me a few days to recover from lack of sleep, but it sure was worth it!

Herschel

Adventurer
I decided I want to be allowed in the house and not suffer bodily harm, so I'm still going to her sister's wedding.

Good luck and have fun! :)

coyote6

Adventurer
Yeah, to play a scheduled-by-Gen Con game, you need tickets. You can register for a particular game (at this point, registration would have to be done on-site), or buy generic tickets (also on-site) and use the generic tickets to get in on a game where there are empty seats. However, depending on what games & times you like, you may find that most of the games are already full. IME, most of the games I wanted to play filled up within hours (if not minutes!) of registration opening in May.

You can show up with generics & try to get in to a game, though -- sometimes people don't show up (early morning slots on Saturday or Sunday might be more prone to this ;) ), or a GM might take an extra person.

Or find a pickup or informal (i.e., outside of Gen Con's official schedule) game. Check ENWorld's Gen Con forum, and check Circvs Maximvs's con forum (Hypogeum? something like that, but I don't have CM access from work to check); there are usually a bunch listed there, though they can fill up, too. Plus, you get to game with people you at least might know from the boards. RPG.net also has their own get together's, I believe, and probably other online communities, too.

You can also wander around open gaming areas (I think the Con has space set aside, and the Hyatt's -- I hope that's the hotel! -- a common area, too) and look for a game. Or start one.

(My suggestion: get in a game with HyperSmurf, if he's at this year's con; I was in an M&M game Piratecat ran last year, and the Smurf was hilarity personified. The best games I played last year were mostly ENWorld/CM games.)

Oh, and if you like old original :p school gaming, Ben Robbins & co. are trying to get Major Wesely to run the Braunstein game again this year, as an ad hoc thing. Coordination at Ars Ludi blog.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads