• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E So Is The Dex Based Fighter Just Strictly Better?

How about an elf fighter with 20 Dexterity, wearing a set of gauntlets of ogre power?

Choose Which One GIF by G2 Esports

I'm only half-kidding here. The GoOP is an Uncommon magic item from Table F, right up there with +1 swords and boots of elvenkind. Seems like this would be a pretty easy way to get the "best of both worlds," so to speak, if one were clearly better than the other.
I really don't understand why gauntlets of ogre power or similar items exist. There shouldn't be a magic item that can completely bypass whatever you assigned to the ability score. That's just crazy. And are there similar items for other stats?

I really don't understand why gauntlets of ogre power or similar items exist. There shouldn't be a magic item that can completely bypass whatever you assigned to the ability score. That's just crazy. And are there similar items for other stats?
Yep, headband of intellect (gives 19 intel). Clearly made for those pesky eldritch knights and their MAD requirements.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yep, headband of intellect (gives 19 intel). Clearly made for those pesky eldritch knights and their MAD requirements.

And lets not forget the Amulet of health for those that want the HP and poison saves but would rather max out other stats.

These items are dodges, but NONE are as bad as STR. You can go to STR 29 if you find the right item!

And lets not forget the Amulet of health for those that want the HP and poison saves but would rather max out other stats.

These items are dodges, but NONE are as bad as STR. You can go to STR 29 if you find the right item!
Yep, I forgot about the amulet... belts are a classic though.

Question: I see no one balks at a cleric doing healing word then sacred flame. No one balks at a wizard doing misty step then a fire bolt. But if a fighter wants to shield bash then attack.... SA says it can't be done. I personnaly allow it. It gives strength fighter a good option, a very good option that gives pause to dex fighters. Yes it is a feat dependent thing, but it does make up for the advantages of dex.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Yep, I forgot about the amulet... belts are a classic though.

Question: I see no one balks at a cleric doing healing word then sacred flame. No one balks at a wizard doing misty step then a fire bolt. But if a fighter wants to shield bash then attack.... SA says it can't be done. I personnaly allow it. It gives strength fighter a good option, a very good option that gives pause to dex fighters. Yes it is a feat dependent thing, but it does make up for the advantages of dex.

A fighter with Multiple attacks absolutely can - they just have to devote 1 attack to the bash.

A fighter with Shield Master can't bash first (as a bonus action) because (according to Sage Advice) the feat says so. Personally, I see no problem with it and would allow it if someone took Shield Master.

Nope according to SA, the bonus action comes after. Which is not said in the rules. You declare your attack. Since declaration is done use shield bash, target falls prone, attack with advantage if successful.
Yeah, I now remember that I read that and disagreed. I allow inserting bonus actions between attacks, I haven't noticed it breaking anything.

A fighter with Multiple attacks absolutely can - they just have to devote 1 attack to the bash.

A fighter with Shield Master can't bash first (as a bonus action) because (according to Sage Advice) the feat says so. Personally, I see no problem with it and would allow it if someone took Shield Master.
I see no problem with shield bashing first. It can be pretty strong and most foes are strength base already. It just gives a strength base fighter with a shield a nice little something to do and use. A dragon if ancient age will certainly not fall prone but doing it on an ogre, though not certain, might be quite helpful. Or high AC humanoids and so on.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
The ALL-STAT ALL-STAR
(or, "How To Build a Character with All 18 Stats")
  1. Put your best stat in Dexterity and your second-best in Wisdom; choose Human as your starting ancestry. Your Dex should be 16, your Wis 15, and your Cha 14 if you're using the "Point Buy" optional rule. They're probably higher if you rolled your stats.
  2. Put your lowest stats (8, 10, and 12 if you're using Point Buy) in Strength, Intelligence, and Constitution. Trust me, you won't need them.
  3. Choose Fighter. You are now proficient with Strength and Constitution saves, and you're gonna be getting a ton of ASIs.
  4. At 4th level, choose the Resilient feat for Dexterity. Dex is now 17+, and bonus: you are now proficient with half of all save throws.
  5. As quickly as possible, equip and attune gauntlets of ogre strength, headband of intellect, and amulet of health. Your Strength, Intelligence, and Constitution are now all 19. Three down, three to go!
  6. At 6th level, put +1 into Dex (which is now 18) and +1 into Wis (bringing it up to 17). Four down, two to go!
  7. At 8th level, put +1 into Wis (now it's 18), and +1 into Cha (bringing it up to 15). Five down, one to go
  8. At 12th level, put +2 into Charisma again, now it's 17. Almost there!
  9. At 14th level, put +1 into Charisma and +1 anywhere else...or take a feat that boosts Charisma by +1, like Elven Accuracy. All done!
I'm not saying that this is a good idea. In fact, it looks absolutely boring to play, and downright maddening for the DM and the other players (who will have no doubt gotten absolutely sick and tired of you begging, arguing, whining, and pleading for those three specific magic items over the course of your character's career, for no real reason other than "I Needs It For Muh Build"). But hey...it's possible!

Last edited:

Remove ads