D&D 5E So Is The Dex Based Fighter Just Strictly Better?

G

Guest 7034872

There was a subtle balance around the things, depending on which edition of TSR-era A/D&D and which expansions. Magic armor did not encumber (I think it might have gone towards max carried, but don't know if that was in all editions), and added to some saves (again, not sure if universal). So a +2 chainmail may or may not have been more useful to you than a suit of regular plate. Also differences if you used WvsAC table (and faced a lot of weapon-wielding enemies).
Yeah, that jibes with my vague recollection of what we played around with back in junior high and high school: magical armor that got you to the desired AC was strongly preferred because of weight and encumbrance benefits. Now, I just don't know what the official rules on this were back then: it might've been our DM's house rules that governed this stuff, you know? But I remember chain mail that mimicked Frodo's mithril shirt was pretty popular among those lucky enough to find it.

But I remember chain mail that mimicked Frodo's mithril shirt was pretty popular among those lucky enough to find it.
"Chain, Elfin" as it was listed in the AD&D DMG, was chainmail made by elves and never sold. It weighed and had the bulk (for thief abilities) of leather armor, was not subject to heat metal. There was no magical types. In 2e AD&d it became "Elven Chainmail" and also allowed the user to still cast Magic User spells while wearing it (provided they had the ability), which was important because 2E changed the multiclassing rules such that the traditional elven fighter-magic user couldn't otherwise cast in armor. They also doubled down on it being only 'by elves, for elves' and (IIRC) in the Complete Book of Elves (the master race) had discussions about elves dedicated to hunting down and 'liberating' suits of it worn by non-elves. Fun times (??).

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
"Chain, Elfin" as it was listed in the AD&D DMG, was chainmail made by elves and never sold. It weighed and had the bulk (for thief abilities) of leather armor, was not subject to heat metal. There was no magical types. In 2e AD&d it became "Elven Chainmail" and also allowed the user to still cast Magic User spells while wearing it (provided they had the ability), which was important because 2E changed the multiclassing rules such that the traditional elven fighter-magic user couldn't otherwise cast in armor. They also doubled down on it being only 'by elves, for elves' and (IIRC) in the Complete Book of Elves (the master race) had discussions about elves dedicated to hunting down and 'liberating' suits of it worn by non-elves. Fun times (??).
There was also an interim step, with Unearthed Arcana introducing magical elven chain, and more detailed rules (separated out % penalties) for how it interacted with Thief abilities.

Remove ads