D&D 5E So Is The Dex Based Fighter Just Strictly Better?

Yeah, honestly, if I was designing 5e I'd just make the AC for heavy armor a bit better. I mean, DEX is a slightly better option than STR, but if the STR fighter could also have an AC 3 points higher than the DEX fighter when in plate armor or something, well you'd have to really think that one through! I mean, DEX would still be a perfectly viable option (and maybe its 2 points higher AC where the sweet spot is, I'm not sure). I mean, it appears that HISTORICALLY the later forms of armor of the early 15th Century were a LOT better than even mail, forcing the employment of a whole specialized set of weapons to defeat them, and obviating the need for a shield. I think certain these 'full plate' type armors could justifiably move up an AC slot or two!

I'd probably raise AC from Heavy and medium Armor uniformly by 1 point.
Right now, medium armor is only woth it at low levels, at high levels it is worse than loght armor, because either you have lower AC or a stealth penalty.

So chain shirt would be 14+dex (max 2), chain mail would be 17.
Maybe for heavy armor I would leave chain mail at 16 and just add an extra armor that is 9 AC for 17 Str.

Right now, medium armor is only woth it at low levels, at high levels it is worse than loght armor, because either you have lower AC or a stealth penalty.

Maybe for heavy armor I would leave chain mail at 16 and just add an extra armor that is 9 AC for 17 Str.
I think that I'd move the medium armour stat to Con to prevent Dex being quite such a god-stat. And probably also raise medium/heavy AC by a point.

I think that I'd move the medium armour stat to Con to prevent Dex being quite such a god-stat. And probably also raise medium/heavy AC by a point.

I don't think, that is necessary or desired. Con is already important enough.
12 or 14 Dex and with 1 more AC by default is manageable. I also see no fictional reason why con is important for medium armor users.
Maybe removing dex from initiative would be enough to disincentive people only using Dex. I can see int as the default initiative stat, both from a balance and a fictional point of view.

12 or 14 Dex and with 1 more AC by default is manageable. I also see no fictional reason why con is important for medium armor users.
Maybe removing dex from initiative would be enough to disincentive people only using Dex. I can see int as the default initiative stat, both from a balance and a fictional point of view.
That could be an option. It would have the advantage of putting intelligence a bit more to the front. Dex even without initiative mod, is already really strong.

This would be a big boon for wizards (more chances to use a control spell before anyone moves) and a big problem for assassins (who don't need any more hurdles)

This would be a big boon for wizards (more chances to use a control spell before anyone moves) and a big problem for assassins (who don't need any more hurdles)
I care less about that than I do about 50% of characters having Dex 14. For that matter I'd care less if Con was the combat uber-stat because the majority of adventurers being rugged or tough makes a lot more sense to me than them all being graceful

G

Guest 7034872

I like your idea much better than mine. My whole goal was to buff medium and heavy armor to where STR-based fighters could use it and have slightly better ACs than the DEX-based fighters. This is much simpler and cleaner.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like your idea much better than mine. My whole goal was to buff medium and heavy armor to where STR-based fighters could use it and have slightly better ACs than the DEX-based fighters. This is much simpler and cleaner.
Best heavier armors should have a 2-4 point AC advantage over light armor plus dex.

I prefer 3E armor system over 5E being honest. 5E essentially rewards 2-3 armor types (studded, plate and best medium armor).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I think having the following limits would be good:

Light armor + 5 DEX = 17
Medium armor + 2 DEX = 18
Heavy armor + no DEX = 19

I only scanned some of the posts, so I think this line might have already been posted/ suggested. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads