• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So My DMG is Falling Apart Three Days After I Got it...

The B#

First Post
Ok, one, I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if this topic has already been covered (I searched using Google, and didn't find any)

I'm just severely disappointed with the binding in the core books for 4e. Three days (a little less than 73 hours) after I get my boxed set from Amazon, pages are starting to fall out of my DMG (pages 1-12 to be exact)

To put it bluntly, I was (still am) pissed. I called WotC customer support. Thankfully, they'll replace it for me. However, I have to send the book to them first. This, of course, means I'll be without the DMG for at least a week (most likely more time). Why can't they send me a copy of the book first and have me send mine back (putting a hold on a credit card to insure they get the item back)?

I'm just venting a bit, I suppose. All I know is that my 3e books, 2e books, and even 1e are still holding up. I took a look, and I am genuinely concerned that my PHB and MM may follow suit. I really don't feel that they are put together as well as previous books.

Are my fears unfounded? Am I being paranoid? Am I just really unlucky or has this happened to anyone else yet?

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
You are NOT supposed to hit your players over the head with the DMG when they annoy you.

I tried that and my DMG fell apart too. (Although that was a 2E DMG - not as thick.)

The B#

First Post
actually, that's not a bad idea at all. Thanks! Saves me the hassle of sending the book back and waiting God knows how long.

haha, rats! I've been found out!

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I had the same problem when I tried out GURPS 4e. The pages started falling out within four days of getting it, just plain sucks.

Course when I realized that it wasn't a system I'd like I hot-glued the pages back in and sold it at a used book place, HA.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
One of my 2nd ed PHBs fell apart. But that was after a good, solid, five or so years of use.

I really hope this is an isolated incident. I generally like to have one use copy and one keepsake copy simply because the use copy generally isn't treated with kid gloves.

Edgewood

First Post
DaveMage said:
You are NOT supposed to hit your players over the head with the DMG when they annoy you.

I tried that and my DMG fell apart too. (Although that was a 2E DMG - not as thick.)

Actually I did the same thing myself once, only my DM fell apart and my DMG was in perfect shape. Strange......

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Edgewood said:
Actually I did the same thing myself once, only my DM fell apart and my DMG was in perfect shape. Strange......

Did you use the special faux-leather 3.5 edition or the 1E DMG? I could totally see that....

That sucks. I really hope this is an isolated case because is could be a costly exercise for WotC otherwise. It will cost them money to replace all the books and cost them customers as people get annoyed at having their books falling apart almost straight away. It's not like this could have happened from overuse!

The only gaming books I have ever had pages falling out of are my Games Workshop Necromunda Rulebooks. My 2e D&D books have damaged spines (when I lent them to someone for a few days - not happy!) but all the pages are still attached.

Olaf the Stout

Dire Bare

Legend
The B# said:
Ok, one, I apologize if this is the incorrect forum or if this topic has already been covered (I searched using Google, and didn't find any)

I'm just severely disappointed with the binding in the core books for 4e. Three days (a little less than 73 hours) after I get my boxed set from Amazon, pages are starting to fall out of my DMG (pages 1-12 to be exact)

To put it bluntly, I was (still am) pissed. I called WotC customer support. Thankfully, they'll replace it for me. However, I have to send the book to them first. This, of course, means I'll be without the DMG for at least a week (most likely more time). Why can't they send me a copy of the book first and have me send mine back (putting a hold on a credit card to insure they get the item back)?

I'm just venting a bit, I suppose. All I know is that my 3e books, 2e books, and even 1e are still holding up. I took a look, and I am genuinely concerned that my PHB and MM may follow suit. I really don't feel that they are put together as well as previous books.

Are my fears unfounded? Am I being paranoid? Am I just really unlucky or has this happened to anyone else yet?
Yes, you are overreacting. While no doubt your new expensive book falling apart truly sucks . . . it happens. WotC is actually providing you fantastic customer service in offering to replace your book. Expecting them to simply just send you a new one before you return the old one is unrealistic. If you had contacted Amazon, they probably would have done exactly the same.

It may be that a portion of a print run got bound poorly, but I haven't seen any evidence of a widespread problem. My books are fine . . . anecdotal, I know.

While I empathize with your turn of luck, getting pissed off at WotC is pointless and unfair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads