• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So My DMG is Falling Apart Three Days After I Got it...

The B#

First Post
Unrealistic to send me a replacement first? How so? Nintendo, Microsoft, EA and other electronics hardware companies do this all time with their hardware(I know from experience). That is a far bigger risk than possibly losing the cost of a book. Doing that builds confidence on the part of the consumer.

You know what's unfair? My book falling apart after three days. I am fully aware that these things happen, but that's not an excuse. If my book falls apart due to a faulty manufacturing process I expect WotC to replace my book. I am not happy that I have to send the book back. That means I have to pay for shipping. I am going to be out of a book, and I have to pay money to get it replaced? No, it is not unfair to be angry about that. Pointless, maybe, since it won't get anything accomplished, but it is not unfair.

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
The B# said:
Unrealistic to send me a replacement first? How so? Nintendo, Microsoft, EA and other electronics hardware companies do this all time (I know from experience). That is a far bigger risk than possibly losing the cost of a book. Doing that builds confidence on the part of the consumer.
These companies are a) bigger and b) their product is (material-wise) worth less.

And since many software/games require keys or you need proof of purchase for the replacement, that's an entirely different ballgame.

Cheers, LT.

Lord Tirian said:
These companies are a) bigger and b) their product is (material-wise) worth less.

And since many software/games require keys or you need proof of purchase for the replacement, that's an entirely different ballgame.

Cheers, LT.

I doubt that an X-Box unit would be worth less material wise than a hardcover book.

(Yes, many people have had to sent their entire hard drive back to Microsoft)

Olaf the Stout

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Well, my pages are staying in the book well enough. But the covers are warped like crazy. I don't know if it is because of the humid air up here in Portland (43%, according to CNN Weather), or if it is because the inks and glues used in the cover stock didn't have sufficient drying time before they were shrinkwrapped, or both. But whatever it is, my books are permanently splayed open by about a half-inch on both covers.

I've never had this happen to a hardcover book before. Someone in another thread suggested pressing them between other books for a few days to fix it. So the solution is to close these brand-new, highly-anticipated 4th Edition books, pack them on a crowded shelf, and not look at them for a while?

Grr.

The B#

First Post
actually, that has happened to my books and all of my friends' books here as well. We also attributed the warping to the humidity.

As annoying as that was, though. I dealt with it. Pages falling out though... nuh uh!

Dire Bare

Legend
The B# said:
Unrealistic to send me a replacement first? How so? Nintendo, Microsoft, EA and other electronics hardware companies do this all time with their hardware(I know from experience). That is a far bigger risk than possibly losing the cost of a book. Doing that builds confidence on the part of the consumer.

You know what's unfair? My book falling apart after three days. I am fully aware that these things happen, but that's not an excuse. If my book falls apart due to a faulty manufacturing process I expect WotC to replace my book. I am not happy that I have to send the book back. That means I have to pay for shipping. I am going to be out of a book, and I have to pay money to get it replaced? No, it is not unfair to be angry about that. Pointless, maybe, since it won't get anything accomplished, but it is not unfair.
Still overreacting. I just purchased shoes from Amazon, and they didn't fit well. I sent them back on my dime for a replacement a size up. Had to send the first pair back first, and wait. Standard practice across industries. Would it be better and cooler if WotC did send your new book first? Of course!! But it's not wrong of them to want the faulty merchandise back first. Your XBOX and other home electronics are a completely different category because they include a replacement warranty as a part of the purchase price. Books do not traditionally (i.e. never) come with replacement warranties. You never "registered" your D&D purchase with WotC and they have no way of verifying the purchase without said faulty merchandise, even with a retail receipt or packing slip. Had you contacted the retailer, Amazon, first, they might have actually sent the book first, but I doubt it. At least Amazon has a record of your purchase on their servers.

Your book fell apart. It sucks. It's a sign of maturity and wisdom to resist railing at the elements, shouting at the wind, and bemoaning a simple turn of bad luck that is no one's fault. So you'll be without for a time . . . you'll live. It's not like D&D is an integral part of Maslow's hierarchy of needs (food, shelter, safety, freedom).

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I may have a faster way, assuming you have certain things.

If you've got a workbench and a clamp or two, place the books one at a time near the edge of the bench. Then stick the board on top and use the clamps to compress it between the bench and the board. A few hours of this is generally enough to straighten the covers back out.

Dire Bare

Legend
Olaf the Stout said:
I doubt that an X-Box unit would be worth less material wise than a hardcover book.

(Yes, many people have had to sent their entire hard drive back to Microsoft)

Olaf the Stout
Of course an XBOX has more to it than a printed book. But we are talking economies of scale. Microsoft makes, like a gazillion times a billion (*not an exact figure) XBOX's. The print run of the D&D game, while large, doesn't even approach that scale.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads