D&D (2024) So other Classes for the PHB are dead and gone yes?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
that is depressing.
This is why you have 3rd Party Products. So you don't HAVE to be depressed.

What I find depressing is all the people who only think products produced by WotC are worth using, and rather than finding / using / enjoying a full psionic system for these past 5 years that someone has put a goodly amount of time into designing and playtesting... those people have not used psionics at all and have instead spent that time all po'd and complaining that WotC hasn't given them what they wanted.

Clint_L

Hero
I hate psionics in D&D both in terms of flavour (too 70s soft sci-fi/pseudo-science) and execution (why do we need another system of magic just called by another name?). But mostly I hate them because they were the worst in AD&D, where they were just an insanely overpowered bonus that a few characters got because of a lucky dice roll, instantly making them twice as good as any other character in the party.

And that said, I wouldn't mind them in 5e, because not everything has to be things I like and clearly some folks, like the OP, really want them. Not in the updated PHB because they are so different from the fantasy archetypes that are the heart of the D&D brand, but in a source book for a specialized setting. Spelljammer would have been perfect, with its sci-fi vibe, but you could make a case for Planescape, which is coming out next year.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I hate psionics in D&D both in terms of flavour (too 70s soft sci-fi/pseudo-science) and execution (why do we need another system of magic just called by another name?). But mostly I hate them because they were the worst in AD&D, where they were just an insanely overpowered bonus that a few characters got because of a lucky dice roll, instantly making them twice as good as any other character in the party.

And that said, I wouldn't mind them in 5e, because not everything has to be things I like and clearly some folks, like the OP, really want them. Not in the updated PHB because they are so different from the fantasy archetypes that are the heart of the D&D brand, but in a source book for a specialized setting. Spelljammer would have been perfect, with its sci-fi vibe, but you could make a case for Planescape, which is coming out next year.
I really like the flavor of psionics, and want them included in our games, but I really respect your reasoning here.

(well maybe except holding a grudge since AD&D, 44 years ago....I kid I kid.... :LOL: )

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
If WOTC intends to have past adventure and setting books backwards compatible, them they will run out of mechanical material quickly.
They can't print a new FR or Theros book with nothing in it but lore. That won't sell.
This is ESPECIALLY true if them offer update guides for the subclasses of 5e subclasses. WOTC is kinda running on fumes for exciting ideas for subclasses. TCOE had reprints.

It would be easier to write a XGTE/TCOE type book with 1 new subclasses for 16-17 classes than 2 new subclasses for 12-13 classes.

The 2024 PHB likely will just have the 12 2014 PHB classes.
Artificer will likely come in a new Ebberon book.
Swordmage/Gish might come in a new FR book.
Psion will likely come in a new Dark Sun book.
Warlord and/or Shaman might come in a new options book.
Creating a series of update guides rather runs against their "this isn't a new edition" narrative.

Clint_L

Hero
I really like the flavor of psionics, and want them included in our games, but I really respect your reasoning here.

(well maybe except holding a grudge since AD&D, 44 years ago....I kid I kid.... :LOL: )
No, you're right. It's totally unreasonable, but you know how it goes - formative years and all that. It's the same reason I am still unreasonably irritated by the old D&D cartoon: by the time it came out my friends and I were super judgmental teenagers who looked down our noses its "kiddie" version of D&D. I am definitely in the wrong, but that's emotions for ya.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I just want to see real classes in the new D&D. Like, understandable classes that don't pigeonhole people and force them into neat stereotypes. That's why I just want the following four classes in the next D&D:
  • Dwarf
  • Elf
  • Halfling
  • Human
Every day we stray further from Gygax's holy light...

Remove ads