D&D (2024) So...the next OneD&D update is gonna feel weird...

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Nothing in the changes we’ve seen so far would seem to make the game harder to play without a VTT. Rather, I think the goal is simply to change the game enough to justify a new SRD, which would be their excuse for “updating” the OGL, so they can kill all competing VTTs.
I don't think updating the game mechanics had anything to do with wanting to update the OGL, rather I think it is a legitimate desire to streamline and fix a few things in the game.

This is why I will lie on the surveys, make them think I'm a fan, plant false playtest results under the guise of helping out the brand, telling them things I think will help their business:
"I would gladly pay $1 for access to this feat." "This species upgrade is worth the $5." "So glad you revoked the OGL 1.0 - we don't need content like Spelljammer ship combat." "Chris Pine is a big, bankable star - not basically a guy who hasn't had the lead role in a hit movie in a decade."

This makes it sound like you're not really that concerned about small publishers going out of business, so long as it hurts D&D it doesn't matter how much damage is done to anybody else.

If nobody responded to the new play test material I think that would send a louder message.

Maybe wait until the actual Wizards response.

I don't see a point in waiting for Wizard's response. It's on them to get it out there, not to wait endlessly while we watch creator after creator have to scramble to cover themselves. Waiting itself while this plays out is an indictment of them.

Yeah the sunshine and rainbows faux interviews with jermey crawford are going to hit a bit different 🤪 . To be clear, none of this is the fault of the design team and their work is being significantly undercut as usual.

I'm not the target audience for the playtest, but I was already suspicious that a) they were not genuinely interested in listening to feedback and b) that the changes they were making were meant to facilitate vtt-only play.

I don't think it's meant for VTT-only play, but I do think they want to corner the VTT market for D&D, and what better way than to effectively kill off the old edition and make it so that no one wants to make a VTT that integrates your new one? Timing works out well, too.

Nothing in the changes we’ve seen so far would seem to make the game harder to play without a VTT. Rather, I think the goal is simply to change the game enough to justify a new SRD, which would be their excuse for “updating” the OGL, so they can kill all competing VTTs.

Ope, someone already said it. I don't think they want to necessarily kill all other VTTs, though. Just make it so that they are the only ones who can play their game. It's someone was looking for a TTRPG situation as infuriating as the John Deere "Right to Repair" debacle.

Retreater

Legend
This makes it sound like you're not really that concerned about small publishers going out of business, so long as it hurts D&D it doesn't matter how much damage is done to anybody else.

If nobody responded to the new play test material I think that would send a louder message.
I am concerned. I have friends in the industry. I actually have products that will be deleted and others that will never be printed or played.
I'm kidding about putting in joke responses. I plan to never sign into DND Beyond again.
"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."

I am concerned. I have friends in the industry. I actually have products that will be deleted and others that will never be printed or played.
I'm kidding about putting in joke responses. I plan to never sign into DND Beyond again.
"From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee."
There is a fair chance that does not happen however.

The one good thing I can say about this whole debacle is that I've never seen the community so united.
771vej.jpg

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Ope, someone already said it. I don't think they want to necessarily kill all other VTTs, though. Just make it so that they are the only ones who can play their game. It's someone was looking for a TTRPG situation as infuriating as the John Deere "Right to Repair" debacle.
Oh, yeah, good point.

OK, that makes more sense. I was almost going to open my previous response with 'I'm pretty sure you're joking, but...'

Last edited:

Remove ads