D&D (2024) So...the next OneD&D update is gonna feel weird...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
No it's not.

And before deciding on that stuff they should wait for the new OGL to be released or D&D's statement.
hqg GIF

Retreater

Legend
That means nothing to One D&D.
One D&D, as the promotional and playtest hype generation tool for 5.5e (analogous to D&D Next's preview for 5e), has failed. I'm not saying 5.5e has failed, but they blew all the hype and goodwill they had coming into it since the original announcement.
Maybe wait until the actual Wizards response.
No response is a response. Saying nothing as 3PPs as big as Kobold Press and MCDM jump off their project is a response. Heck, even sending this insulting, lie-filled contract to partners is communication. Making a deal with Kickstarter is communication. The "under-monetized" fiasco was communication.
They demonstrated that they don't give beans about the community, their partners, or the tradition of the game. They can get hosed for all I care.
Yeah the sunshine and rainbows faux interviews with jermey crawford are going to hit a bit different 🤪 . To be clear, none of this is the fault of the design team and their work is being significantly undercut as usual.

I'm not the target audience for the playtest, but I was already suspicious that a) they were not genuinely interested in listening to feedback and b) that the changes they were making were meant to facilitate vtt-only play.
I understand that the designers are only guilty by association in most cases and have to follow what their bosses say. I don't have ill will towards Crawford, Chris Perkins, et al. If they go write for MCDM, Kobold Press, or get jobs for other companies I'll consider purchasing their stuff like anyone else. But anything with the WotC/Hasbro imprint will have the stench of corporate betrayal, and it will take some serious amends before I consider purchasing again.

I’m generally intolerant of self-indulgent “I’m taking my wallet and going home” posts, but I’ve pivoted pretty hard. I was planning to buy at least the core books regardless of what they did because it’s the 50th anniversary of my favorite hobby for the past 42 years. I also play virtually and was all-in on digital subscription services as long as the quality and value was there (up to $500/year or so).

Now? I’ve been thinking, even if they completely walk it back and release an explicitly irrevocable 1.0b, now that that they’ve shown their hand, is this really an “ecosystem” I really want to commit more money to? I kinda think I don’t at this point.

One D&D, as the promotional and playtest hype generation tool for 5.5e (analogous to D&D Next's preview for 5e), has failed. I'm not saying 5.5e has failed, but they blew all the hype and goodwill they had coming into it since the original announcement.
I don't agree this can be fairly simply fixed, and there are tons of people that also don't care too much.

Reynard

Legend
If you care enough to answer the survey odds are your invested enough to care about the OGL.
Why? Those things are not related. If you are invested enough to respond to the survey, it means your primary game is 5E and you are a DND Beyond member (if not subscriber). I would actually guess that people that feel strongly about OGL products are probably less engaged with 1D&D, simply because they have a wider pool of products to pull from.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not the target audience for the playtest, but I was already suspicious that a) they were not genuinely interested in listening to feedback and b) that the changes they were making were meant to facilitate vtt-only play.
Nothing in the changes we’ve seen so far would seem to make the game harder to play without a VTT. Rather, I think the goal is simply to change the game enough to justify a new SRD, which would be their excuse for “updating” the OGL, so they can kill all competing VTTs.

Remove ads