So, Wandavision?

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Which also raises the question why doesn’t the sorcerer supreme do the same thing for The Entire Planet :)

For one they are guardians of Earth, but it does not belong to them.

Also the Sorcerer Supreme is dedicated to protecting Earth from outside threats. The last thing they are looking to do in that process is suppressing the magic of latent sorcerers who could be brought into the fight. "No more sorcerers" is Mordo's cause - not Doctor Strange's cause.

Or, you know, Ultron is there just to up the ante for one episode, and doesn't mean anything long term.
I suspect Ultron might be back just for this series finale, and killed off again in the same episode.

Also, notice how Agatha explains how the runes stop any other witch using their powers? Who wants to bet that this is used against Agatha in the final episode?

Villains: never ever explain to heroes how clever your evil trap is!

MarkB

Legend
Except that Wanda could not see the runes when Agatha tried to point them out to her and she would have no knowledge of the right ones to use or how to cast them. But if the power of the Phoenix ...... Scarlet Witch fully manifests in her, it will not matter what Agatha tries to do.
What do you mean? Wanda saw them just fine, she just didn't know what they were until Agatha told her.

I suspect that the plot will tie into the Nexus of all Realities, since it was teased in one of the commercials. It might be where Wanda is getting her powers from.

Agatha on the other hand, seems to be getting her powers from elsewhere. In the opening of the episode, we see how the coven uses blue magic. Agatha's power is purple, as if her coven powers are tainted. Perhaps from the book? According to Marvel lore, the Darkhold originates from the dark dimension. If this book is indeed the Darkhold, how did Agatha get it, and is this what turned her powers purple?

Although this episode shows us that Wanda had her powers even as a child, it is suggested that she taps into the powers of the mindstone, which is also when she sees the silhouette. It seems as if part of the mindstone's powers now exist in her, and that she used it to will Vision back into existence. But who is the woman she saw? The previous Scarlet Witch? Natalya Maximoff?

1614507826966.png

Did someone say purple?

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the timeline of events though. Presumably, Agatha has been looking for the Scarlet Witch for some time now. And its not like Wanda has been keeping her powers a secret. But that still wouldn't explain how Agatha came to be inside Westview before S.W.O.R.D was even aware of the anomaly. She couldn't have known that Wanda would go to Westview, unless she was the one who left Wanda that property deed.

But even then, how was Agatha able to resist Wanda's reality warping powers? Is she naturally immune? I would presume not. The only way she would be immune, is if she made magical preparations before she either entered the anomaly, or before it even manifested. I suppose if she were the one that left the deed in Wanda's car, she could have prepped her own little purple sanctum underneath Westview.

But then what is her ultimate goal? I presume one of her goals was to locate and confirm Wanda as the Scarlet Witch. The other was to learn how she created the Hex. But it also seems she really tried everything she could to break Wanda out of her manufactured reality. Did she need to do this to learn what she wanted to learn?

If her goal is to feast on Wanda's powers, as she did on the magic of her coven, then why lure her a warded sanctum where she can't use her powers? Or why not allow the Hex to persist, feasting on its existence? Maybe she needed to know for sure that Wanda was the Scarlet Witch first?

At the end of the episode we do see Agatha face Wanda outside the sanctum, while holding her children captive, which may be a ploy to get Wanda to use her powers against her. But would Agatha even be able to handle the power of the mindstone, even if it is just a fraction of it? It also seems like a strategic error to show Wanda her sanctum and her magic book, if she intends to be Wanda's enemy. Such knowledge could easily be used against her.

Or will we see a twist, where Wanda teams up with Agatha against S.W.O.R.D?

MarkB

Legend
I'm still a bit fuzzy on the timeline of events though. Presumably, Agatha has been looking for the Scarlet Witch for some time now. And its not like Wanda has been keeping her powers a secret. But that still wouldn't explain how Agatha came to be inside Westview before S.W.O.R.D was even aware of the anomaly. She couldn't have known that Wanda would go to Westview, unless she was the one who left Wanda that property deed.

But even then, how was Agatha able to resist Wanda's reality warping powers? Is she naturally immune? I would presume not. The only way she would be immune, is if she made magical preparations before she either entered the anomaly, or before it even manifested. I suppose if she were the one that left the deed in Wanda's car, she could have prepped her own little purple sanctum underneath Westview.

But then what is her ultimate goal? I presume one of her goals was to locate and confirm Wanda as the Scarlet Witch. The other was to learn how she created the Hex. But it also seems she really tried everything she could to break Wanda out of her manufactured reality. Did she need to do this to learn what she wanted to learn?

If her goal is to feast on Wanda's powers, as she did on the magic of her coven, then why lure her a warded sanctum where she can't use her powers? Or why not allow the Hex to persist, feasting on its existence? Maybe she needed to know for sure that Wanda was the Scarlet Witch first?

At the end of the episode we do see Agatha face Wanda outside the sanctum, while holding her children captive, which may be a ploy to get Wanda to use her powers against her. But would Agatha even be able to handle the power of the mindstone, even if it is just a fraction of it? It also seems like a strategic error to show Wanda her sanctum and her magic book, if she intends to be Wanda's enemy. Such knowledge could easily be used against her.

Or will we see a twist, where Wanda teams up with Agatha against S.W.O.R.D?
I didn't get the impression that Agatha was looking for the Scarlet Witch - more that she just knew about the concept, sufficiently to be able to identify Wanda once she'd gone through her backstory.

I think the sequence of events would be roughly:

• Agatha is off doing other things, just living her life, when she senses a massive burst of magic from Westview, and comes to investigate.
  • She uses her powers to protect herself when she enters the Hex. She's much less powerful than Wanda, but also far more experienced, and has actually studied magic, so it's not that surprising that she can protect herself.
  • She marvels at the scope of power on display, and wants to learn more about the person who's doing it, so she approaches Wanda but quickly realises that Wanda is caught up in her own fantasy world. She'll need to be snapped out of it before she can actually provide more detailed information.
  • Agatha ingratiates herself into Wanda's life, and attempts a series of decreasingly subtle interventions to pull her out of her fantasy world. At the same time she sets up her own sanctum in a nearby basement to ensure that she has a bastion if Wanda turns hostile.
  • Finally Wanda seems to be coming back to herself sufficiently to actually provide useful information if interrogated, so Agatha kidnaps her children and encourages her into Agatha's sanctum.
  • That's when she finds out how little Wanda actually knows. While she was aware of Wanda's status as an Avenger, she didn't know the source of her powers and had been working under the assumption that Wanda was a formally-trained practitioner. Startled to find that Wanda actually doesn't have any powerful spells or rituals that she can steal, Agatha instead endeavours to learn how she came to have such a degree of raw talent, by embarking upon a trip down memory lane with her.
  • It's only after this that Agatha makes the connection that Wanda is something called the Scarlet Witch, and it scares her.

Staffan

Legend
At the end of the episode we do see Agatha face Wanda outside the sanctum, while holding her children captive, which may be a ploy to get Wanda to use her powers against her.
Do we?

There's a subtle thing going on that I didn't notice until it was pointed out elsewhere: different places have different aspect ratios. Inside the hex started out as 4:3, and changed to 16:9 (or thereabouts — basically, it's full-screen on my monitor) when it changed to color. But the outside is (I think) 2.35:1 — at the very least, significantly wider than inside the hex. We see this as Wanda is entering Agatha's sanctum — it's somewhat subtle as the picture is fairly dark, but as she is approaching the sanctum we see black bars cover the top and bottom of the screen.

And then, move forward to Wanda hearing the cries of her children, she rushes out through a door into a white light and out on the street and sees Agatha having the kids on leashes... but we're still in 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I think this is still a thing that Agatha's showing Wanda, not something that's happening in reality.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Good point. Maybe it is all an illusion, and Wanda is still inside Agatha's sanctum. I had not considered that yet.

Wanda's hands power up - which should not be possible within the sanctum. It would have to be part of the illusion.

Plus, as we saw in her origin - Agatha's shtick to take down other magicians is to let other practitioners fire at her, and then to use that channel to corrupt and draw out the opponent's energy until they are a withered husk. Agatha may be trying to do that again by making herself a huge target. If so, boy is that going to be a mistake. Sure, Agatha, drink from the fire hose. That'll work out well for you :/

I think the aspect ratios may be less about the physical location, and more about its relation to Wanda's state of mind. The sanctum and outside the Hex are reality. Wanda's mind is in reality now. Basically, the aspect ratio is "stuff got real".

Remove ads