So, Wandavision?

Dire Bare

Legend
It is funny how they are re-inventing the wheel. Streaming services seem to be slowly moving themselves back to the broadcast TV model of presentation, but now you have to pay for each individual channel.
I used to work customer service for DirecTV. One of our canned responses to customers complaining about the price of the channel bundles was, "If we offered each channel to you individually, everything would cost more."

It's coming true, to a degree.

The streaming landscape is still evolving, but so far I still prefer it to the old cable TV/satellite TV paradigm. I'll usually subscribe to a service for a particular show, like WandaVision, but then also make it a point to watch everything else on the "channel" that piques my interest. Once my show is over, assuming I've mostly exhausted the other content I'm interested in, I hit the "cancel subscription" option.

My biggest challenge with this model is the temptation to subscribe to more than one or two streaming services at a time . . . if there are multiple shows on different services that I'm interested in.

Pretty sure this is part of the reason why Disney+ has sooooo many Marvel and Star Wars shows in the works, they want a tentpole show actively running on the service at all times, so that nobody hits that "cancel subscription" button. They are ahead of the other streaming services on this . . . with maybe HBO Max coming in on their heels.

I used to work customer service for DirecTV. One of our canned responses to customers complaining about the price of the channel bundles was, "If we offered each channel to you individually, everything would cost more."

It's coming true, to a degree.

The streaming landscape is still evolving, but so far I still prefer it to the old cable TV/satellite TV paradigm. I'll usually subscribe to a service for a particular show, like WandaVision, but then also make it a point to watch everything else on the "channel" that piques my interest. Once my show is over, assuming I've mostly exhausted the other content I'm interested in, I hit the "cancel subscription" option.

My biggest challenge with this model is the temptation to subscribe to more than one or two streaming services at a time . . . if there are multiple shows on different services that I'm interested in.

Pretty sure this is part of the reason why Disney+ has sooooo many Marvel and Star Wars shows in the works, they want a tentpole show actively running on the service at all times, so that nobody hits that "cancel subscription" button. They are ahead of the other streaming services on this . . . with maybe HBO Max coming in on their heels.

But are you the only one watching each streaming app you subscribe to? I subscribe to Disney+ and there are five people in my household that watch things on it, so it will probably never be cancelled. Same with Netflix. Someone is always watching something on it.

And yes, in that big press reveal they had last year for all the new shows, I am pretty sure they said their release plan was for there to be a new episode of something Marvel every week of the year for 2021. And probably into 2022 also. And then you add in the Star Wars shows to that too.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
But are you the only one watching each streaming app you subscribe to? I subscribe to Disney+ and there are five people in my household that watch things on it, so it will probably never be cancelled. Same with Netflix. Someone is always watching something on it.

And yes, in that big press reveal they had last year for all the new shows, I am pretty sure they said their release plan was for there to be a new episode of something Marvel every week of the year for 2021. And probably into 2022 also. And then you add in the Star Wars shows to that too.
Well that's good, because I subscribed to Disney+ for the1st season of Mandalorian, and I didn't watch anything on it when that finished until the 2nd season of Mandalorian. (I'm terrible at remembering to cancel things, and it's possible that my kids, teenagers, watched something on it)... but it felt like a big waste of money. I'd rather there was something worth watching!

pukunui

Legend
Woo and Darcy in a MCU X-Files type show seems to have some traction.
As long as they have a better sense of what they're doing (instead of just making it up as they go along), I could potentially get invested in that. I used to be a fan of the X-Files, and I am liking what I have seen of both Woo and Darcy.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

I know. We have several at the moment, but they all have two or more shows on them we watch at least weekly, so we take it that they're still worth it But we do have to watch in the long run to make sure that we don't leave them paid when they don't have shows we want...

Pretty sure this is part of the reason why Disney+ has sooooo many Marvel and Star Wars shows in the works, they want a tentpole show actively running on the service at all times

Yep CBS All Access did similarly, with 23 weeks of a new episode of a Trek show each week. Listening to me talk about Discovery made my wife decide she wanted to see it, so that's still on....

Mallus

Legend
I've been doing a bad job unsubscribing from Disney+ for several months now. I have the package deal with ESPN+ and Hulu, and there always seems to be a reason for not cancelling. Wandavision, finishing Archer on Hulu, the expanded Australian Open coverage on ESPN+, watching Hamilton again, etc.

CBS All Access was much easier. Is there new Star Trek content? No? Unsubscribe!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases