So was it a poison pill?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Specifically, he said it was a license designed for everyone never to accept.
There's got to be a name for the logical fallacy where you assume that people are competent and so when they do something that looks stupid it must be because it's actually part of a genius plan that you just don't understand. Is there a name for that?

Anyway that's what seems to be going on here. The explanation that the current leadership at Wizards doesn't understand the tabletop rpg market seems ridiculous, so it must be that that they do understand it and all of this blowing up in their faces was part of an intentional plot to do something we just can't really understand.

Meanwhile Occam's Razor suggests that they might just be bad at their jobs, like so many other high-level executives are in this day and age. I know which way I'd bet if I were a gambling man.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I agree that OGL 1.1 was a poison pill, but I don't believe it was intended to flat out stop people from making content. Rather, I think they probably wanted to drive significant 3PP to approach WotC to negotiate a less onerous license deal.

And if that drove out some of the leeches on Hasbro's IP? I think they'd have been perfectly fine with it.

mamba

Legend
Why would anyone take royalties on profits, most small companies profits are zero...
I believe it was royalties only on the revenue over 750k, so not that much at all.
you do see how your two statements contradict each other, no?

Most projects, including the large kickstarters, would lose money at 25% over 750k of revenue…

mamba

Legend
There's got to be a name for the logical fallacy where you assume that people are competent and so when they do something that looks stupid it must be because it's actually part of a genius plan that you just don't understand. Is there a name for that?
no fallacy here though, it was designed so no one accepts it. They expected the big publishers to negotiate separate licenses, that part did not happen

Greggy C

Hero
Most projects, including the large kickstarters, would lose money at 25% over 750k of revenue…
If you made 800k and they only too 25% of the (800-750) = 12.5k.
12.5k to license something that made 800k on?
That is laughable. And all you do is increase the price a little.

Anyway they removed the clause so doesn't matter.

Undrave

Legend
What's with the "formerly known as" ?

To engage with the point, yeah probably. While I don't necessarily know that that was the main intent at best, it was probably a shrug and "well, worst case that leaves us to provide and sell more content, oh well" territory. You can really explain it all away with simple ignorance of how the thing they make actually operates. Which, if you are imported Microsoft MBA bros, yeah, certainly possible.
Should have been Linux bros :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases