• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So... what are the base assumptions that DnD are playtested on

Snowy

Explorer
I remember someone discussing the assumptions that DnD is playtested on sometime or other any one care to refresh me.

25 point buy?
Wealth by level presumably.

what else?

I'm running a game and am trying to decide what to start people on. I'm favouring level 3 with a 25 point buy, possibly a standard array, suggestions, I'm looking for something to try and push everyones numbers closer together

Arkhandus

First Post
Um, exactly what the DMG describes?

Like, an expected party of 4 PCs, one being the frontline fighter-type, another being the rogue, another being the sorcerer/wizard-type, and another being the cleric? It assumes a trap/lock/scouting guy, a major arcane blaster/manipulator, a major melee combatant, and a major healer/undead-blaster.

An average of 4 encounters per day, give or take, of varying Encounter Levels/Challenge Ratings, within a few levels/CRs of the Average Party Level. Except of course for low-level PCs not facing anything more than one or two CRs above their level.

The DMG also suggests that with the standard wealth guidelines, PCs should probably not have any one item worth more than half of their starting wealth.

A mix of different monster types used as opponents, ranging from animals and vermin and such with no treasure to the occasional humanoids or dragons with lots of treasure, some magical beasts and outsiders and other junk thrown in, and the occasional constructs, elementals, or oozes.

Snowy

Explorer
Forgot the 4 encounters per day one. thanks.

some of my posts are from work no srd no books, relying on my memory not a good plan! thanks!

Remove ads