So what are you reading this year 2021?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Finished reading Van Richten’s Guide to Ravenloft by WOTC.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Swallowed Convenience Store Woman in one sitting (it's very quick). It is not a genre book, but has a protagonist that asks hard questions, and finds her own answers to them. Recommended.

Klara and the Sun is Kazuo Ishiguro's latest, and it's very compelling.

My wife and I have been listening to it on audiobook, and we just took a road trip this weekend - so got another 4 hours into it. But now we are back home, so we have to decide how to finish the final 53 pages... The voice actor for the audio book is really good.

Richards

Legend
I finished Stephen King's Cell and it was a good read, but it had a somewhat surprising ending for a King book. I've found one main difference between Stephen King books and Dean Koontz books is that Koontz allows his protagonists to have happy endings, whereas King often has the good guys appear to win...only for the evil to still be around and open the possibility for it come back later just as strong or stronger. This time, the ending was left up in the air - there's every possibility that the good thing you hope will happen at the end of the book will indeed happen, but he ends it before resolving it one way or the other. (I guess for a Stephen King horror novel, that's as close as we're likely to get to a happy ending.)

So now I'm starting up another Stephen King novel that I picked up specifically for last week's business trip (and then ended up not getting in as much reading time as I had anticipated): The Institute, wherein kids with special abilities are being kidnapped and whisked away to be experimented upon. It kind of sounds like a cross between "The Prisoner" and the X-Men with a horror spin. It should be interesting. So far, though, it's been about a former cop working in a small town as a "night knocker" (night watchman) - I'm not sure yet where he'll fit into the picture.

Johnathan

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Finished reading Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire. - Very interesting worldbuilding. Light-hearted and doesn’t take itself too seriously.

Still reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Started reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Nellisir

Hero
So now I'm starting up another Stephen King novel that I picked up specifically for last week's business trip (and then ended up not getting in as much reading time as I had anticipated): The Institute, wherein kids with special abilities are being kidnapped and whisked away to be experimented upon. It kind of sounds like a cross between "The Prisoner" and the X-Men with a horror spin. It should be interesting. So far, though, it's been about a former cop working in a small town as a "night knocker" (night watchman) - I'm not sure yet where he'll fit into the picture.

Johnathan
I haven't kept up with King in ages; this sounds like one that'd tie into, or at least reference, Firestarter and possibly Carrie (plus others, no doubt).

Mallus

Legend
Ministry For the Future by Kim Stanley Robinson. The perfect book to be reading the week Hurricane Ida turns the Vine St. Expressway into a canal and ravages my home state of NJ.

I've also got Octavia Butler's Parable of the Talents on deck. My timing, as always, is impeccable.

Finished Thieves World's Wings of Omen. Thieves World is one of my foundational fantasy works, having read it a little too young, so it's hard for me to be objective about the series.

Now I'm reading Simon Hawke's Wizard of 4th Street. I'll admit, mostly for the cover. But so far, it's a heck of fun read...

1631211835896.png

Remove ads