So what are you reading this year 2021?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finished Guns of Avalon last night. I've not read the Amber books before, but the first two read like TV scripts......

I'll probably move off the giant Amber collection next, as it is too big to bring on an airplane.....

Richards

Legend
I'm now reading Lisa Gardner's Alone, in which a police sniper takes out a violently abusive man who was about to kill his wife...only to have the slain man's father - a powerful and crooked judge - do everything he can to ruin the cop's life.

Johnathan

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The Scott Lynch books were depressing because, while there's a fourth book, it's not out until OCTOBER. I TRIED to read them slowly!! I guess at least it's this year...Republic of Thieves was published in 2014, so he's beaten Rothfuss and Martin, for whatever that's worth.
I can't find anything reliable about when Thorn of Emberlane (Gentleman Bastard #4) publication date. Manuscript has been in. October would be wonderful, but I would expect Amazon and such to know it by now.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm reading Thrawn, part of the new SW universe now that the EU has been jettisoned. It is written by Zahn, same as the original trilogy. It's his early career, though it's mostly from the PoV from two others.

It's good. But it's not original Thrawn trilogy good. It's more believable, but has less Star Wars iconics.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Next up Relentless Moon, 2nd book in the Calculating Stars series. I liked the first.
Derp, turns out Fated Sky (FS) was the 2nd book, and Relentless Moon (RM) is the 3rd. So I have read them out of order. My OCD is going crazy, but turns out RM is told from a different POV character, so I think I can still go back to FS and enjoy it.

Finished REH/DeCamp/Carter's Conan the Wanderer. Even by low pastiche standards, it wasn't great. DeCamp and Carter seem to just not always understand the character of Conan, so his dialog, his actions will ring false to those that have read the original REH tales. And there was some pretty egregious racism (like, moreso than usual).

Next up in John Peterson's The Elusive Shift.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I read The Summer Tree in one sitting yesterday. I either have a terrible memory, or haven't actually read this before.....I mean, Guy Gavriel Kay is probably my favorite author, and I didn't remember 1 thing about that book.....

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Heading back to MN for a few days....and plan to hit Half Price Books.....I'm combing this thread for recommendations....

Planning to buy (if they have):
Any Sanderson book I don't have
Foundation (I accidentally bought the French version, and cancelled that order)
Book three of the Fionavar Trilogy
Book three of the Magister trilogy
Ian Banks that I haven't read (I suppose I should figure out if I've read 1 or 2)
Jamie Oliver cookbooks maybe

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

Finished reading Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Tasha's Cauldron of Everything by Wizards of the Coast.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading The Immortal Game: A History of Chess by David Shenk.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading The Icebound Land by John Flanagan.

Started reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Remove ads