So what are you reading this year 2021?

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Sword of Shannara for the first time. If I had read this 25 years ago I would have been appalled by the rip-off. Now I kind of find it entertaining comparing the two stories. No one could get away with that today!

Richards

Legend
I'm starting up the last of the Lisa Gardner novels I bought in one fell swoop. This one is called Gone and it involves the sudden disappearance of a criminal investigator who's been the main character in several other of her novels.

Johnathan

When I first read it as a kid, I didn't notice it at all. But when I re-read it again in my twenties, yeah, I couldn't not see it. Re-reading it most recently, I could appreciate it for what it is. Tolkien's influence casts a long shadow, but I feel like the codification of fantasy as Elves/Dwarves/Humans aided by a Kindly Wizard, fighting a Dark Lord really happened here with Sword of Shannara.

Sword of Shannara for the first time. If I had read this 25 years ago I would have been appalled by the rip-off. Now I kind of find it entertaining comparing the two stories. No one could get away with that today!

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
When I first read it as a kid, I didn't notice it at all. But when I re-read it again in my twenties, yeah, I couldn't not see it. Re-reading it most recently, I could appreciate it for what it is. Tolkien's influence casts a long shadow, but I feel like the codification of fantasy as Elves/Dwarves/Humans aided by a Kindly Wizard, fighting a Dark Lord really happened here with Sword of Shannara.
He is certainly not without imagination. I liked the one-handed rogue with the silent troll. I bought the omnibus of the first three books. I'm currently reading Elfstones of Shannara.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
Just finished reading Counterfeit Realities by Philip K Dick - it contains:
  • The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
  • Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
  • Ubik
  • A Scanner Darkly
Really interesting read. I’d only read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep before but the four stories, although completely unrelated, make a nice “bundle”.

Yeah, the best parts of SoS are easily the things without LOTR analogs, where he does his own thing. That weird hybrid-machine-insect is more striking than the Not-Nazgul Skull Bearers, for example.

He is certainly not without imagination. I liked the one-handed rogue with the silent troll. I bought the omnibus of the first three books. I'm currently reading Elfstones of Shannara.

I finished reading The Elusive Shift. Really good stuff - still a scholarly discussion, but more accessible than Playing At The World. Now I'm reading Clark Ashton Smith's Poseidonis.

Last edited:

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Besides catching up with non-fiction academia stuff, I picked up two large piles of SF classics at a sale - some to read again, some that I somehow missed back in the devouring days. Currently on Brian Aldiss Non-Stop.

I have also finally gathered courage and players to start 7ed Masks of Nyarlathotep in September, and are on a second note-taking read-through of that material.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Tasha's Cauldron of Everything by Wizards of the Coast.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading The Immortal Game: A History of Chess by David Shenk.

Still reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading The Icebound Land by John Flanagan.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Started reading My Grandfather's Son: A Memoir by Clarence Thomas.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I don't remember if I mentioned I finished Thrawn. In general I like it, but it sort of fizzled out. They set up a recurring bad, who in the end just turned down Thrawn, and died to someone else's hand. There was a "big twist" that basically didn't have anything really supporting it anywhere else int he book, and sort of made parts of the book less important. And the character with the most character growth had it in a direction that made them less able to emphasize with. And there was an "end twist" that was actually foreshadowed against happening and seemed more to set up future books. It was pretty good while I was reading it, but the wrap up was disappointing.

I'm currently reading three books. I mentioned Indestructables before, I'm on book 2.

I started Dawn, the first book of Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler. The beginning is slow - it's got lots of good set up that I hope it capitalizes on, but right now it's not holding my interest.

And I am just a few pages into Steelheart, the first book of Brandon Sanderson's The Reckoners series, based on a recommendation from this thread. Engaging, and and interesting reconstruction of the supers myth though there's still a lot of unknown that doesn't quite make sense - that I'm more than willing to suspend disbelief because it's Sanderson and he's good at having it all hang together perfectly by the end.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I started Dawn, the first book of Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler. The beginning is slow - it's got lots of good set up that I hope it capitalizes on, but right now it's not holding my interest.
It gets better? I mean it is a real favorite of mine, I liked it from the beginning, you might not like it though.

Remove ads