So what are you reading this year 2021?

onomel

First Post
I just finished "The Long Walk" by Stephen King a day ago. Such an underrated Stephen King book, loved every bit of it.

As someone interested in reading, I can ask papercheap put together an enjoyable introduction for my research, haha.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Superheros. So I've been reading Invicib... no, that was the Amazon Prime series. The Incredi... no, movies. Soon I Will Be Invic... no, still not Invicible, and that one is even further away. Mr. Invulnerable! No, that was a Champions character a long time friend of mine ran. Ah, I remember: The Indestructables by Matthew Phillion,

And really, that was just a cheap joke, the series is easier to remember than that. I finished the eponymous named first book, and now I'm on The Indestructibles: Breakout. I think adrift teen supers is a new category I'm grooving on. You know, ones where half the word out is on the drama within the team. Super soap operas if you will. Which does match my favorite style of superhero RPG. I've been told I want to give Masks a try next.

Anyway, these are worth reading the series, especial since with Kindle Unlimited they are including in my subscription. The characters are good, though you've got your Batman and Superman expys. Ah, the perfectionist vigilante ex-dancer one of the other heroes calls Assassin Barbie. But you've also got the too-young-to-be-in-this-but-her-powers-are-too-dangerous-not-to, and some others.

Written as an ensemble with differing points of view each chapter it's pretty decent. 7/10 I'd say. If you've got Kindle Unlimited, I've found Arthur Mayor's Superhero Chronicles, starting with Sidekicks, to be a better read. But if you've finished those and enjoy the subgenre, these are good to head to next. And if you are more into buying books instead of a subscription, don't miss the Wearing the Cape series.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
@Blue If you like superheroes, Brandon Sanders has a three book series called The Reckoners. Basic premise is a cosmological event gives people superpowers...but only very bad people get powers. The narrator is an 18 year old living in what's left of Chicago under the rule of Steelheart (the title of the first book). The country has basically broken down into petty little fiefdoms ruled by the supers. The Reckoners are a terrorist organization that attempts to discover the weakness of the supers and kill them. I found them enjoyable. They aren't quite YA, though with a teenage protagonist they trend that way. At the end of this month, a new Reckoners story is coming out in audio form, a collaboration between Sanderson and another author. Brandon has been experimenting with "audio only" books and recently founded a company for them.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
@Blue If you like superheroes, Brandon Sanders has a three book series called The Reckoners. Basic premise is a cosmological event gives people superpowers...but only very bad people get powers. The narrator is an 18 year old living in what's left of Chicago under the rule of Steelheart (the title of the first book). The country has basically broken down into petty little fiefdoms ruled by the supers. The Reckoners are a terrorist organization that attempts to discover the weakness of the supers and kill them. I found them enjoyable. They aren't quite YA, though with a teenage protagonist they trend that way. At the end of this month, a new Reckoners story is coming out in audio form, a collaboration between Sanderson and another author. Brandon has been experimenting with "audio only" books and recently founded a company for them.
Cool, I'll give that them a try. I'm not into them "in general", my subgenre is more into ones that deal with drama on the teams and such, but with Sanderson I don't have worry about good characterization. I also like when they deconstruct/reconstuct the tropes.

Remove ads