So what are you reading this year 2021?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Finished reading Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb. This was a really good book. Good worldbuilding and characters.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Still reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Finally finished Gardens of the Moon.

Once I read more at one time, it didn't seem as daunting. ... But still. So many characters. I own the next two, but I think I'll finish Priest by Colville, then try something else.

Finished Hodgson's The Boats of the Glen Carrig last Friday. That was a most excellent and chilling read, one that does not feel as old as it is. The way the fear of the very real threats of the open ocean worked with the fear of unknowable horrors was a well-balanced escalation device. I'm surprised it's not been adapted for the screen, because it seems like it would make for a great movie.

And at the price of "free" on Kindle, definitely worth it.

Now I'm re-reading RE Howard's The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading Night of the Hunter by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life by Jordan B. Peterson.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading Changes by Jim Butcher.

Still reading A Lone Habitation by Seanan McGuire.

Still listening to Lux by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading The Battle for Skandia by John Flanagan.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Sill reading Discrimination and Disparities by Thomas Sowell.

Still reading The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Started reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Finished re-reading REH's Savage Tales of Solomon Kane. I'm really mixed on the collection. When the stories are at their best, they're astonishingly good. Solomon Kane is like the anti-Michael Myers; we never find out what drives him, have only hints about his history; he is a relentless force for good.

But then there is some truly horrific racist language - which while present in REH's other tales, really comes into focus with the stories set in Africa. After a certain point, I ended up skipping those.

Now I'm re-reading Clive Barker's Books of Blood Vol. 1. Oh, do I love the schlocky covers of the editions I have:

1633540247530.png

Richards

Legend
I finished Medicus last night (skipping an hour or more of sleep at bedtime to do so - I wanted to see how it ended and didn't want to wait until today to do so). It was a great read and now I'm starting up the first sequel, Terra Incognita, in which Roman army doctor Gaius Petreius Ruso is stationed even further north in the backwaters of Britannia, in the lands where his new slave Tilla is from - and in which he'll get embroiled in another mystery against his better judgment, this time involving Tilla's former lover, who's charged with killing a Roman soldier.

Johnathan

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Pretty close to Worm, then. Worm is around 11,000 pages long (serialized), and the sequel, Ward, is around 4,500 pages.
You should try reading The Wandering Inn. Worm is about 1.8 million words, The Wandering Inn is currently at 8.3 million words and nowhere close to done.

Practical Guide to Evil is also another excellent, long web serial.

reelo

Hero
I just recieved "The Illuminated Edda" by Andrew Valkauskas, author the RPG "Fate of the Norns"
I've just skimmed over it so far, but it looks delightful (and got much praise from Ed Greenwood)
d00723e3c32d595b54a385fd200b86a3.jpg

read Invisible Sun, the third and final volume of Charles Stross's second Merchant Princes series. It was okay. I may reread the series if I'm bored and don't have anything else but it won't join my list of books/series I read every year.

Remove ads