So what are you reading this year 2021?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Still reading Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. by Ron Chernow.

Still reading The Battle for Spain by Antony Beevor.

Still reading Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

Still reading An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading Critical Role: Tal’dorei Campaign Setting by Matthew Mercer.

Still reading Midnight Blue-Light Special by Seanan McGuire.

Still reading The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors by Dan Jones.

Still reading The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Still reading Black Widow: Red Vengeance by Margaret Stohl.

Still reading Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb.

Still reading Sly Flourish’s The Lazy Dungeon Master by Michael E. Shea.

Still reading Matchlock and the Embassy: A Thirty Years’ War Story by Zachary Twamley.

Finished listening to Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

Still reading The Black Ice by Michael Connelly.

Still reading Rise of the King by R. A. Salvatore.

Still reading The Sorcerer of the North by John Flanagan.

Still reading Ghost Story by Jim Butcher.

Still reading ReDawn by Brandon Sanderson and Janci Patterson.

Started listening to Starsight by Brandon Sanderson.

Started reading When Christmas Comes by Andrew Klavan.

I do as well. They now seem like such a snapshot of the Cold War. I'll be curious to see what the TV series is like (if it makes it to production).

i love his vampire books!

I finished reading The Return of the King. The Scouring of the Shire is such an important part tonally - I get why Jackson removed it, but will disagree with that decision eternally.

I also read Lord Dunsany's The Gods of Pegana. Moving and thought-provoking. Though it's not in my top Dunsany tales, its influence on fantasy is clearly enormous.

Now I'm reading Fred Saberhagen's Third Book of Swords.

I do as well. They now seem like such a snapshot of the Cold War. I'll be curious to see what the TV series is like (if it makes it to production).

I finished reading The Return of the King. The Scouring of the Shire is such an important part tonally - I get why Jackson removed it, but will disagree with that decision eternally.

I also read Lord Dunsany's The Gods of Pegana. Moving and thought-provoking. Though it's not in my top Dunsany tales, its influence on fantasy is clearly enormous.

there was a movie option (felt like it took years and i think the studio lost it ). Is there a tv rumored?

As of this summer, yes. There's a lot that was announced as possible, but as to what actually happens, that remains to be seen:

there was a movie option (felt like it took years and i think the studio lost it ). Is there a tv rumored?

Ryujin

Legend

That's my one regret about the movie adaptation, as it's a "coming of age" moment for the Hobbits. I don't nitpick the colour of Galadriel's dress or the lack of Tom Bombadil and the Ents, but "The Scouring of the Shire" was such a great literary moment for me.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I found the scouring a cynical effort to say it really doesn't matter, bad changes come no matter what you do.

I just got two new Ottolenghi cookbooks, and am reading them. I'm also reading The Wandering Fire by Guy Kay Gavriel.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Found 9 books on my to-read list (I have this wacky goal to read every Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy award winner and nominee published after 1980) at a used bookstore. Huzzah!

And yet, here I go reading a non-H/N/WF award nominee in the form of Robin Hobbs Liveship Traders trilogy. Ah well, she's delivered the goods so far with the Assassin's Apprentice series, so I'm looking forward to the ride.

Yeah, it reaffirms that the hobbits are the true heroes of the tale, and shows how they've grown from the beginning. It also gives Saruman a proper ending, one entirely and shockingly absent in the theatrical cut.

That's my one regret about the movie adaptation, as it's a "coming of age" moment for the Hobbits. I don't nitpick the colour of Galadriel's dress or the lack of Tom Bombadil and the Ents, but "The Scouring of the Shire" was such a great literary moment for me.

Partially, but though it takes time, the Shire also ends up more beautiful than before, thanks in no small part due to Samwise's efforts. The only Mallorn tree outside of Lothlorien grows there.

Rather than cynicism, I think it shows how war comes home, even to those that think they can stay clear of it by sticking their heads in the ground. It also shows what the hobbits can do, when they're roused and riled up.

I found the scouring a cynical effort to say it really doesn't matter, bad changes come no matter what you do.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, it reaffirms that the hobbits are the true heroes of the tale, and shows how they've grown from the beginning. It also gives Saruman a proper ending, one entirely and shockingly absent in the theatrical cut.

Partially, but though it takes time, the Shire also ends up more beautiful than before, thanks in no small part due to Samwise's efforts. The only Mallorn tree outside of Lothlorien grows there.

Rather than cynicism, I think it shows how war comes home, even to those that think they can stay clear of it by sticking their heads in the ground. It also shows what the hobbits can do, when they're roused and riled up.
I would agree. To me, "The Scouring of the Shire" is about growing up and personal empowerment to make change. The Hobbits were stand-ins for Tolkien's own children. These were stories for his children and, while he said that he didn't do allegory, the stories were certainly influenced by his children. Lessons were learnt.

Remove ads