• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General So what classes use honor ( I need three)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
As you say, Samurai is the logical choice for a strong combatant. Their honor lies in discipline and obedience.

For a fast combatant, I argue Avenger (the 4e D&D class.) They are sworn to uphold the doctrine of their deity and punish oathbreakers and heretics. Honor, in the form of enforcing grim justice: the divine executioner that swoops in from the rafters. Ezio Auditore, but powered by the divine. A holy ninja.

For a smart combatant, that's tricky too, but I think you could do something with Tactician. This is the honor of a master to her servants: giving wise commands, rewarding success, correcting mistakes. As Sun Tzu wrote
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look upon them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death. If, however, you are indulgent, but unable to make your authority felt; kind-hearted, but unable to enforce your commands; and incapable, moreover, of quelling disorder: then your soldiers must be likened to spoilt children; they are useless for any practical purpose.

The Tactician who follows the Art of War is absolutely concerned highly with honor, while still being about earning victory. A strategy that wins by its merits (rather than by luck) is never dishonorable to the Tactician, whereas that would not be true for a Samurai.

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
Well, I feel like tactician is a complex class ( that is, a construction of two or more basic classes )
It might even be ( the name for ) a pentaclass:)

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Hmm....good question. To my mind, you would want one for each (broad) character class: a Warrior, a Mage, and a Sneak. So with that in mind:

Warrior - Samurai, obviously.
Mage - Shaolin
Sneak - Ninja

le Redoutable

Ich bin El Glouglou :)
I think that thieves, in case they miscalculate something in the heart of their victim, make a donation ( a gift, a good surprise )
Well, it should work better as a merchant 's psychology,
And so I quit without my dinner grmpf!

Laurefindel

Legend
Most of the merchants I encounter in RPG are anything but honorable…

Also, by the samurai’s definition of honour, the thief/rogue has a hard time being honourable. If « personal code » is a substitute for honour, then Paladin definitely qualifies and so does monk, cleric, and barbarian and druid to a lesser extent.

Samurai... and knight/cavalier, crusader(martial adept), paladin..

Because the black legend against the History of my land I have had to learn the hard way the true value of the honor. Some times honest people suffer dishonor (unfairly) and true criminal enjoy a great social prestige. The honor may be "relative". For example saint Thomas Moor, the patron of politicians, didn't want to obey an order by the king Henry VIII, he was he was tried, convicted of treason and executed, he died as a criminal. Did he die with dishonor? Saint Joan d'Arc, she was catched by Englishs and burned at the stake for heresy. Did she die with dishonor? Or the saint martyrs of Nagasaki, they lost their lifes as criminals because they didn't want to reject their Christian faith. Did they did with dishonor?

Other example, Aaron Stark from "Game of Thrones". We know his fate. Was he a man with honor? And what about Baratheon royal family? They enjoyed a great social prestige. Were they honorable? Who would you trust your own life?

Remove ads