So What exactly is WoTC's issue with Encounter powers on magic Items?

Drakhar

First Post
So I was skimming through the updates for AV, and I noticed that two of the items I have on my Barb have been nerfed pretty badly, Laughing Death Armor and Tigerclaw Gauntlets. Both items had in the AV encounter powers, but have since been revised to Daily's, which honestly, makes them pretty subpar. For the Laughing Death Armor, a Daily immediate reaction to do 1d6 per plus necrotic damage and give them a -2 penalty when struck by a melee attack isn't all that, and the Tigerclaw gauntlets, 3 basic attacks, which deal extra damage if you hit with the extra two just doesn't seem daily worthy either.

Now I also noticed more items having their Encounter powers replaced with dailies and as such it got me wondering if WoTC has some sort of grudge against decent encounter powers on magic items.

Ryujin

Legend
Based on the usual mechanics, they were screwed up in the original form. As Dailies they're in line with everything else. Typically a power that would be an Encounter power when used directly by a character, becomes a Daily in an item.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The why may relate to not wanting items to overshadow the characters... there is enough problem with heros being dependent on the items modifiers to battle creatures there level ... without items being more overwhelmingly necessary.

chaotix42

First Post
Well, Laughing Death Armor gives you necrotic resistance as a property, so I don't think it needs an encounter power too. As a daily power I think the armor is in-line with its fellows.

Remove ads