So, what's happenin'?

Speaking of the Dread Necromancer, I'll be using one as the bad guy of my 1st adventure. I have to admit, I'm not really that excited about using her, it's just an excuse to throw an axe-wielding spellcaster at the PCs.

What I am excited about is her minion, a 2nd level rogue with severe depravity and corruption (and a boat load of Deformity feats to boot). Since he gets 6 feats in all (4 from his taint), I've given him the following Deformities: Tall, Gaunt, Teeth, & Claws. It should make for a very scary encounter with what otherwise could be a very boring rogue.

The first adventure is set to take place during a masquerade ball held in the villa of one of Waterdeep's minor nobles. The dread necromancer breaks in and unleashes a horde of zombies to buy her some time locating an ancient and forgotten version of the Book of Vile Darkness.

The PCs are searching the basement for a secret passage they believe will lead them to an undiscovered treasure vault deep within Undermountain when the zombies attack. I'm planning on letting them get bored trying to find a secret door that isn't there and then return frustrated to the party. Unfortunately, all they find is an empty hall painted floor and walls with blood. The zombies will drag off their unfortunate victims and finish them in other parts of the house. My favorite part about these zombies? The have spider climb as a spell-like ability usable at will, so they'll be dropping in on the PCs occasionally.

I haven't quite worked out the final encounter (this is going to be a 1 night adventure, but both villains might survive and come back later), but I'm hoping it'll take place in the library. I've never done an encounter in a library, but I imagine that it'll be easy to build the kind of Cat & Mouse suspense I'm looking for.

Funky.Ferret

First Post
Speaking of Dread Necros, BoD.

Why couldn't my zombies come with?
Was it becuase of some magic circle v.s. evil or hallow or whatever

Q2

What was up with that anti ranged spells thing. How come my touch attack spells worked but my ranged didn't and when I used spectral hand it was negated. It was really wierd.

P.S. My zombies would have killed some Monavic Devas or whatever if you had let them in.

To post above mine Mr.Mad, I would recommend investing in an amulet of spectral hand or what not. Charnel touch is really effective that way, and there is almost 0 threat to the necro.

Last edited:

Funky.Ferret said:
Speaking of Dread Necros, BoD.

Why couldn't my zombies come with?
Was it becuase of some magic circle v.s. evil or hallow or whatever

Q2

What was up with that anti ranged spells thing. How come my touch attack spells worked but my ranged didn't and when I used spectral hand it was negated. It was really wierd.

P.S. My zombies would have killed some Monavic Devas or whatever if you had let them in.

To post above mine Mr.Mad, I would recommend investing in an amulet of spectral hand or what not. Charnel touch is really effective that way, and there is almost 0 threat to the necro.

Trust me, it's important later, so I can't tell you. I will warn you not to forget any part of that fight though.

Funky.Ferret said:
I like villains like this to get up close and personal. She'll be using a battle axe and her charnel touch.

Funky.Ferret

First Post
Sure

Important later, important later, what type of an answer is that. So you're telling me that the reason why I for some reason can't use "ranged touch" or bring zombies, is an important plot detail.

First of all you could just explain the reason why, say ooh, its a class ability of their, what ever, explaining it won't give away any plot.

They could have these for a number of different reasons, each of which is reasonable to explain to me why you have taken away everything from me except my 1/2 base attack bonus and not mod to strength.

Class feature-It could be a class feature, but every book, and you as well as any one else knows how many of them there are and that every book has at least ten new classes. I won't be able to learn anything from it if it was a class feature.

Racial feature-Even worse than class's they have far to many different books solely devoted to races, they have even started recycling names for heavens sake. They have the Corpse Gatherer in one book and the Cadaver Gatherer in another, please don't tell me that they have too many monsters to know racial abilities from seeing that they have creatures with the same names.

Feat-There are practically thousands of feats and telling me that it is a feat won't give anything away because the feats chosen won't effect plot

Spell-The spell she cast won't effect plot either

Item-The items, unless artifact, won't matter to the plot anymore than the Feats or Spells, and if it is an artifact what do you think I do, sit there and memorize them all. Jezz, the only time I even pick up the books are at meetings and that is if you aren't playing Halo or something.

P.S. I'm not to sure if a battle axe would be a good idea. I was using a skillfull Jovar, and Jovars are almost the cheapest weapons in the game, and I still was doing almost never hitting anything much less doing substancial damage. I highly recommend the Corpse Crafter feat which is somewhere, and augment summoning, it really boosts your zombies.

Last edited:

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
P.S. BoD The devas were Immune to Negative energy, and charnel touch is a negitive energy attack, they were not antimagic (summoning/spectral hand spells are not negative energy) Also you really did take everything away from him, ehlir nort eifftin dney id os even though you forgot that they were immune to neg. energy. (Sorry to be arguementative)

Mr_GrinReaper said:
P.S. BoD The devas were Immune to Negative energy, and charnel touch is a negitive energy attack, they were not antimagic (summoning/spectral hand spells are not negative energy) Also you really did take everything away from him, ehlir nort eifftin dney id os even though you forgot that they were immune to neg. energy. (Sorry to be arguementative)
Huh, sorry to break it too you but wrong devas. Not the devas from MM, they are in FF.

Funky.Ferret

First Post
So, you're trying to telli me that these devas from FF have some anti-ranged-spell special ability. The spell works perfectly well unless I use a ranged spells, Curse or what ever the area spell that gives them -2 do almost everything is wouldn't work either, niether did fear.

And please tell me what I was supposed to be doing, none of the other party members were in any way adversely affected during this mission.

I get all but 4 of my 36!!! zombies taken away from me because "they would clutter the board." I get my jovar taken away, which was cheap anyways and I still sucked with it but that just proves my point, my guy can't go into weaponized combat, you take away my zombies totally when we are fighting the devas, and I can't cast any spells except touch attack and my base attack bonus sucks, my armor is only reasonable, and you make me wade into combat. A MAGE/CLERIC WHO SPECIALLIZES IN MAKING ZOMBIES GOING MELEE WITH DEVAS!!!!. You took everything away from my guy, the only thing I could really do was be a flank monkey, and now you want to take away the power of the sneakattacks from flanking becasue they are "overpowered," along with some abilities of mages, sorcerors, druids, clerics, bards, monks, and my rangers and my barbarians.

Last edited:

Funky.Ferret

First Post
PS now, while the mage, who does happen to have 24 AC, is getting beat upon by a hound archon, I think i'm not so sure anymore what they summoned, and a deva, the DM PC, who only has 2 or 3 AC higher than GrinReap gets attack ONCE and then the devas deciede, oh, his AC is too strong, lets go beat on someone else. I barely survived, and that's with using false life, one of like two spells I could actually cast because of the B.S. deva thing, to keep me alive.

What up with that???

P.s. George Bush Don't Like Black People!!!!

Remove ads