So, what's happenin'?

Yeah, I know what you're all thinking. Oh god, another thread BoD has started. Too many of them die horrible, non-use realated deaths :( .

The purpose of this thread is for everyone to say what's been happening in their campaigns. When you have a gaming meeting, post the events of the meeting. I'm interested in how other people run their games. Maybe someone even has some ideas for you.

Nightcloak

First Post
Interesting you should ask!

After a year and a half I'm finally running a game full time again. Last week Thursday we officially kicked off my campaign.

Mind you, we spent half the evening finishing characters and more time going over house rules and the "story" set up. But we did get rolling enough to get the guys on the road and face one bandit atttack. I'm seriously looking forward to jumping into the game next Thursday.

Woot!

Nightcloak

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
Yeah, I know what you're all thinking. Oh god, another thread BoD has started. Too many of them die horrible, non-use realated deaths :( .

Nonesence.

Keep them coming!

*Puts on some warpaint and uses a scottish accent*

"All threads die. Few threads really get the chance to live!"

*Ahem* :uhoh:

Anyway. Keep the ideas and conversation comming! :)

Nightcloak said:
Interesting you should ask!

After a year and a half I'm finally running a game full time again. Last week Thursday we officially kicked off my campaign.

Mind you, we spent half the evening finishing characters and more time going over house rules and the "story" set up. But we did get rolling enough to get the guys on the road and face one bandit atttack. I'm seriously looking forward to jumping into the game next Thursday.

Woot!
Ah yes, is the begining of any PC's career complete without being attacked by bandits?

My group didn't get to do much this week at our meeting. They had recently looted the stash of a goblin wizard, and had found two things inside of a scroll case made out of what appeared to be adamantine. Inside they found a golden scroll (anyone here with LEoF can probably guess what it is) and a scroll written in an ancient dialect of high elvish.
So they went off to find the goblin wizard (who was by the way part of a group of bandits) to ask him where he got it, only to find that he had died of his injuries. So they steal the corpse and use speak with dead. They figure out that he got it from some elves coming out of Cormanthor. So they get teleported to Silverymoon so they can check one of it's libraries for info on what they had found.
The teleport, as teleports almost always do, misfired by about five miles. So the wizard says tootaloo, then ports home. So they start wlaking to Silverymoon. About two miles from the city they get attacked by a trio of undead creatures with no skin. It was a tough fight. By the end, two characters are dying, one is barely consious, and the other (the archer, so he hadn't even gone into melee) was wounded. That was fun for everyone, because of the thrill of life and death combat. The undead were all CR 7 against a party of one level 4, two level 5, and a level 6, so they all got a buttload of XP.

Last edited:

Mr_GrinReaper

First Post
two level 2's? where did they come in, I count one level four, 1 level 6 (me :) ) and 2 level 5's

but yea it was a sweet fight.... (stupid will save for fear... *grumbles about his +3 total will mod*)

Mr_GrinReaper said:
two level 2's? where did they come in, I count one level four, 1 level 6 (me :) ) and 2 level 5's
D'oh!!! I meant two level 5. Gimme a break, I've been doing nothing all day except work on my computer and iPod, so I'm wiped. I had to install fifty bajillion things on this new comp.

Mr_GrinReaper said:
but yea it was a sweet fight.... (stupid will save for fear... *grumbles about his +3 total will mod*)
Ah yes, your char's primary weakness. I'm sorry, but it was just funny as hell how you kept failing your will saves.

Nightcloak

First Post
Blade of Desecration said:
Ah yes, is the begining of any PC's career complete without being attacked by bandits?

Isn't it though. Wonderful way to let players with 0 XP (and 1 at -1 XP :p ) try out their new characte abilities personaly and as a team. It was exspecially important since there is a lot of new classes and abilities in this campaign for the players to adjust to.(My new campaign relies heavily on Arcana Evolved plus other 3rd party material). Next week on the road - some 1/4 CR vermin :lol:

I'll post the campaign set up later for those who are interested.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Nightcloak said:
* Impatiently taps foot waiting to hear how Wolf's new game is going *

:)

D'oh! You were adressing me. I am flattered. I just missed this thread the last few times I was here. My computer was sorely out of date and slower than... well, anything. I had a 400mhz Celeron since 1999. Yesterday, I got my new 3.06ghz Pentium IV up and running. I can actually read the new posts at enworld in about half the time, believe it or not.

Okay, how is my game going? Here goes...

When my group imploded and I quit playing earlier this year (early spring I think), I put my campaign on hiatus and demanded players who wanted to play what I wanted to DM. I also insisted that my game not feel like an extension of my job (I am a high school teacher). No offense intended to any of you teens out there, but I was looking fro people closer to my age.

Out of the original 6 players (other than myself) I had at my table before things went south, 4 of them were teens, 3 of which I had taught previously. When I resumed gaming after about 2 months off, we picked up the same campaign where it left off. I started by reinviting a player that had been de-invited back in January due to some conflict. During my hiatus, I realized that we had, in our 4 or 5 year history de-invited 2 players and that both of them were due to conflicts with the player with whom I was now having the most trouble (prior to the hiatus). He was a munchkin rules-lawyer who wanted the game he wanted. Nothing else was acceptable. Unfortunately, everyone else at the table, even those 2 players he caused to be asked to leave (one of whom had come back long ago), loved him. When I reformed the group, I asked only gamers over 21 to return. Of course, this left me with only 3 players, one of whom is severely part-time (police officer/national guard) and another is 2/3 time (firefighter). I tried desparately to recruit other players, to no avail. Two of those 3 players advocated the return of the one who caused my hiatus in the first place and he begged to come back.

In my player search, I found another gamer online and added him to my game. He brought a friend from his other game 2 weeks later. Soon after they joined, the player who caused the hiatus decided to leave for the same reasons I stopped the game in the first place (humor level way out of control - funny thing is that he was way more out of control than the new guys were). Once he left, the game fixed itself. One of my players is of a deep immersion role-playing persuasion, while the rest are into the strategy aspect (both work for me) with lighter role-play. That player feels a little uncomfortable, but he has started a game of Vampire with the player who caused the hiatus and he gets his deep angsty role-play in that game.

So, the PC's are 7th-8th level now (they were 4th when we stopped). They have defeated a temple of Orcus and freed several hostages from the cult, as well as another from a band of Bugbear bandits. Things are going better than ever, though there have been a few rules disputes, everyone is pretty agreeable. I think this game has staying power, which is why I insisted on continuing the same campaign. I put a lot of work in I didn't want to see wasted. The party is about to go after another set of kidnappers, this time to rescue the daughter of a local merchant. I can't say more in case some of them are reading (not sure if they have found this place or not... if they have, they have been quiet) or not.

I have found throughout the years that one of the signs of a healthy game is a waiting list of people to join. I know that this is not always true, but when my game is at its best, I usually have players clamoring to join. I have 2 new players joining tomorrow, bringing me up to 7 players again. I will not go more than 8, as it is too difficult to manage.

So, Nightcloak, thanks for asking. Everything is great! I will post a compilation of my weekly campaign summaries is anyone is interested.

DM

Remove ads