So What's In The New DM Screen?

The new deluxe D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Screen released today in preferred retail outlets (it releases on Jan 20th everywhere else). Games Plus in Illinois is one of those outlets, and the store owner thalmin reports on the contents of the screen.

The new deluxe D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Screen released today in preferred retail outlets (it releases on Jan 20th everywhere else). Games Plus in Illinois is one of those outlets, and the store owner thalmin reports on the contents of the screen.

First Panel

• NPC Characteristics (d20)
  • NPC Ideals (d20)
  • NPC Bonds (d10)
  • NPC Flaws (d12)
  • Name Generator (d20) Beginning Middle End syllables

Second Panel and almost half of third panel is Conditions with Exhaustion

Third Panel

• Setting a DC
  • Cover
  • Obscured Areas
  • Light (Candle, Torch etc. area and duration)
  • Skills and Associated Abilities

Fourth Panel

• Travel Pace
  • Encounter Distance by Terrain, Audible Distance, and Visibility Outdoors
  • Damage By Level and Severity
  • Something Happens! (d20)
  • Quick Finds (d12)

For more D&D 5E release schedules click here. For photos of the DM screen, click here. Let us know what you think of the screen by rating it.

pukunui

Legend
Hmm. That first panel being wholly dedicated to NPC tables is a bit disappointing. I was hoping some other tables from the DMG would make it on there - like weather and such. Ah well. I can always stick them on myself.

Thanks for letting us know what's on it!

Wrathamon

Adventurer
I can see that being there when you have to come up with a quick NPC to roleplay on the fly. Not everyone is good at that.

What would you want Guachi?

Joe Liker

First Post
Thanks for the breakdown, [MENTION=662]thalmin[/MENTION]! This listing is exactly what I was looking for to help me decide!

I don't normally use screens for secrecy, but now I can decide if it's worth getting as a reference.

JesterOC

Explorer
That is a great list.. though weather tables would be cool (Perhaps Something happens is a more generic way of handling random variables. Was there s Something Happens table in the DMG.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
That is a great list.. though weather tables would be cool (Perhaps Something happens is a more generic way of handling random variables. Was there s Something Happens table in the DMG.
I too would have liked a Weather chart.
The Something Happens table, which I couldn't find in the DMG, has nothing to do with weather, other than a couple entries like
  • A storm begins
  • A strong gust of wind blows through
  • The sun comes out
It seems more like potential omens, or something just isn't right, like
  • A door opens
  • A screech pierces the air
  • A monster appears
  • Something isn't where it's supposed to be

Remove ads

Remove ads