D&D 5E So why are you buying 5th edition?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It can have a positive ending. That's not in my control though. I remain at the receiving end of all of this unnecessary nonsense.

It was in your control; and it could have had a positive ending. You could have waited for PC to respond to your PM. Unfortunately, you decided to take that option away from him and consciously break one of our cardinal rules; at this point, even if you were in the right, you're now very much in the wrong.

We're discussing this in the admin forum. I'm not seeing a strong possibility of any likelihood of our setting a precedent that calling out a mod in public is something it's possible to get away with, ragrdless of how right or wrong one thinks one is. We're clear about how to handle a dispute, and the penalties for choosing otherwise.

As such, the above post has been removed. This goes for everyone; there is a zero tolerance policy for calling out the mods here.

bobthehappyzombie

First Post
I'll be buying it as I am one of those annoying folk who like to take things apart and see what makes them work... or not.
I doubt I'll get alot of my mates on board, as they are mostly a bit stuck in their ways bless em.

marleykat

First Post
It's been said a couple times in this thread but I'm going to buy it and at least try it a few times because it will be a supported DnD and like it or not there's a unique feel to playing a game called Dnd that I miss and want back.

From what is coming out about the game it seems to be hitting what I want in a game, simple base, quick start, easy learning curve, flatter power curve. Combined with custombility and modularity like my current fave game Fantasy Craft.

Last edited:

kitsune9

Adventurer
I'm buying 5e for collection purposes. If there is an official Chinese language version of it like there was for 4e, I'm picking that up too.

I don't see myself switching per se; however, if 5e lends itself to strong compatibility with Pathfinder, then I can see myself looking at modules and supplements too for my Pathfinder game.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
At this point, I don't know anywhere near enough to be able to decide whether or not I will buy 5e. Ask again in a year, when we're hopefully better informed and some of the pointless speculation has died down.

Tortoise

First Post
I could never join the OSR community. I just can't summon enough devotion from my RPG choice to stop experimenting or stop looking for a new way of doing things, even if it challenges my assumptions of how an RPG should work.

As a member of the OSR community or whatever you want to call it, a big part of it is the experimenting and looking for new ways to do things. Some really nifty approaches to things have come from the OSR folks.

DMKastmaria

First Post
As a member of the OSR community or whatever you want to call it, a big part of it is the experimenting and looking for new ways to do things. Some really nifty approaches to things have come from the OSR folks.

A large part of what the OSR is doing, has been going back to the early versions of the game and developing them, along alternative lines.

If you buy into the old saw that "all the OSR does is make clones," then you're ignoring the hundreds of non-ruleset, for pay products, the many, many hundreds of free gaming supplements and what was, at my last count, well over 300 active OSR blogs.

Not to mention a whole lot of gaming, both in person and now, thanks to Google+, at Constantcon.

It's a tumultuous, chaotic, enthusiastic outburst of creativity, in the same spirit as the ones which birthed the Arduin Grimoires, Judges Guild, I.C.E's original Laws series and a host of other creative efforts, not to mention a zillion homebrewed campaign worlds and house-rule documents.

Oh, yeah. It's all a whole lot of fun, as well.

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Yeah yeah usual caveat, it's not yet available and we have no idea even what form the new iteration will take.
I will at least buy the core book/box/newsletter/subscription blog printout, because I can. Unless the rules are such a mess that the game is unplayable. I doubt that, so I am in for the first course.

My hope is that 5E is a unifying platform that can run all kinds of campaigns. I hope it can bring in new blood to this hobby by being adaptable enough to branch into more digital methods of play, while still being able to play at a kitchen table. I hope the designers do not wallow in nostalgia for nostalgia's sake, and take the gold from earlier editions and work that in with the gold of later editions. Find good mechanics for good ideas that had lousy mechanics, and drop good mechanics that had lousy ideas.
Lastly, I hope it ends edition wars by stating with its play: play what you like, we can emulate that, but it is all good.

Remove ads