D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah that's going to be a very rough kind of compatibility at most. Like, if you create a 5E character and use Tasha's and Xanathars options, and play them in a 1D&D game, you'll probably be fine, but trying to jam a subclass from either of those on to a 1D&D character is unlikely to work out well (esp. from certain classes - IIRC only Barbarians match the 1D&D subclass progression exactly, and some are really big mismatches - I saw a big table somewhere, maybe on the 1D&D reddit?).
@Remathilis did a breakdown somewhere recently. It's actually not that bad: of the 13 5E Classes, all but two have four Subclass Slots, all within spitting distance of the OneD&D progression: so a compatibility sidebar (which they stated was something that would be provided as the rules get nailed down in the last packet) build down to "take the Subclass features at these points instead" and a few other details, Mayne.

The two outliers are Bard and Fighter. Bard has 3 Subclass features, not 4, ao might need a bonus Feat or something. The Fighter has 5 Subclass feature Levels, so it will be interesting to look at the Fighter UA to see what can be done.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Even granting the software analogy is correct, I thi k Beyond will make that easy. I've said it before, but I'll say it agaon: the DM isn't a "User" in a software analogy, the DM is the OS, which does do work in software compatability.
DDB has what? A few million subscribers? A good chunk of those are free accounts to get info, made a free account and just don't use it, or who use the DM's stuff for free. Meanwhile there are an estimated 50 million D&D players out there.

DDB is a very small fraction of D&D players. The vast majority are pen and pencil tabletop players. Saying DDB will make it easy is a Red Herring. The focus needs to be on the tabletop players.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
DDB has what? A few million subscribers? A good chunk of those are free accounts to get info, made a free account and just don't use it, or who use the DM's stuff for free. Meanwhile there are an estimated 50 million D&D players out there.

DDB is a very small fraction of D&D players. The vast majority are pen and pencil tabletop players. Saying DDB will make it easy is a Red Herring. The focus needs to be on the tabletop players.
For sure (15 million, but you are right in general here). But for tabletop gaming, the DM is the hardware and operating system which needs to apply thr compatibility code. Which, by the look of it, is negligible.

Olrox17

Hero
Even granting the software analogy is correct, I thi k Beyond will make that easy. I've said it before, but I'll say it agaon: the DM isn't a "User" in a software analogy, the DM is the OS, which does do work in software compatability.
I don’t think that’s a fair comparison, the DM is a human being at the table, not a machine. I mean, by that logic, third edition would be backwards compatible with 1e and 2e. And 4e would be backwards compatible with 3e, etc. And 5e would be backwards compatible with 4e, all previous editions of dnd, and perhaps even scrabble, chess and monopoly. As long as the DM is slaving away to make it possible, that is!

Loren the GM

Adventurer
Publisher
Backwards compatibility is a software term and it means usable with no effort on the part of the user. If I have to put in any effort to use both together, and we already know that I will, it's not backwards compatible. It's just mostly compatible or a little incompatible. So are a lot of people trying to change the definition? It seems so, yes.
I mean, that just isn't even how backwards compatibility works for software. For instance, as various versions of Windows were released, they provided backwards compatibility for DOS or earlier Windows software. But almost none of that is seamless, and almost all of it requires some effort by the user (and in some cases, significant work, or just flat out the old software not working) to find the right batch of settings to get the thing working.

Olrox17

Hero
I mean, that just isn't even how backwards compatibility works for software. For instance, as various versions of Windows were released, they provided backwards compatibility for DOS or earlier Windows software. But almost none of that is seamless, and almost all of it requires some effort by the user (and in some cases, significant work, or just flat out the old software not working) to find the right batch of settings to get the thing working.
I mean, duh, if you’re using Windows software 😜

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Doesn't it's lack of compatibility kind of prove it isn't lol? I feel like you want to have your cake and eat it here! If I was stressing the incompatibility like you I'd definitely not be also diminishing it by calling a .5 edition.
I don't view 3e and 3.5 as compatible, either. I'm not going to call it 1D&D, because it's a gimmick name. It's 5.5 or if it ends up being very incompatible(I doubt it will), then 6e.

No, absolutely not.

Windows PCs are uniquely crappy here. That's the issue. In other situations where backwards compatibility is claimed it's usually either genuinely seamless, or extremely low effort (but is rarely claimed as universal).

Remove ads