D&D (2024) So Will 'OneD&D' (6E) Actually Be Backwards Compatible?

Will OD&D Be Backwards Compatible?

• Yes

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 80 41.2%

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Nooooo, per WotC most tables don't use Feats, which was also backed up by Beyond data. Tons of tables do use them...but it's a minority. And optional. As an option, replacing the system wholesale doesn't impact compatibility...since it's already an inessential module.
This is correct, but misleading*.

Most tables don't use feats AND feats are very popular. Both are true. The conclusion is that most tables wanted feats, but many tables didn't pick them because they only got 1 or 2 ASI's before the campaign ended(again per their release most campaigns never hit 10th level). People were feeling pressured into stat gains rather than feats because of the limited number of ASI's.

*I'm not saying that you are misleading people intentionally.

Clint_L

Hero
I don't think "backwards compatible" means "no changes." Obviously there will be changes. It just means that changes are easy to integrate. I don't think I've seen anything proposed for OneD&D that would be hard to integrate. In particular, nothing that seems particularly challenging to integrate with all the other material on DnDBeyond. You may have to toggle some options on or off, or select whether you want the updated or legacy version of the PHB for character creation (I assume the updated will be the default), but the underlying systems will remain in place.

They aren't going to release anything that doesn't work with existing content on DDB.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is not correct.

2014: default = no feats.
2024: default = mandatory feats via background.

Those are two completely opposing things. You can't do both at once. Mandatory feats via background is not compatible in any way with no feats.
It's compatible since it an addition, and mathematically balanced against the same ASI system. The only real difference is a Level 1 Feat...bitnevery book since 2020 has given that anyways. Mythic Odesseys of Theroa, Ravenloft, Strixhaven, Spelljammer, and Dragonlance are backwards compatible with 2014, so that difference doesn't break backwards compatibility with 2014. I'd give anyb2014 PHB character a bonus Feat, but I don't think it would break in play compatibility to skip it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
This is correct, but misleading*.

Most tables don't use feats AND feats are very popular. Both are true. The conclusion is that most tables wanted feats, but many tables didn't pick them because they only got 1 or 2 ASI's before the campaign ended(again per their release most campaigns never hit 10th level). People were feeling pressured into stat gains rather than feats because of the limited number of ASI's.

*I'm not saying that you are misleading people intentionally.
Well, who knows? The only thing we know is that most tables donuse them, except for tables playing to high Levels. That doesn't necessarily mean that tpeiple stop campaigns at lower Levels wanted Geats: there may simply be a strong correlation with people who see Level 11 as the natural endgame and people who aren't interested in Feats. My anecdotal experience is that nobody has wanted to even look at Feats, and were noticeably relieved when told they could just ignore them.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well, who knows? The only thing we know is that most tables donuse them, except for tables playing to high Levels.
That's absolutely not the only thing we know. We also know that feats are extremely popular among players, which is why WotC keeps including them in their books via backgrounds and in the playtest.
That doesn't necessarily mean that tpeiple stop campaigns at lower Levels wanted Geats:
What WotC said above means that. If most people love feats and most people don't use them AND most campaigns end before you get to your 2nd or 3rd ASI, then it's pretty plainly obvious it's because people feel that they need to raise stats early on.
there may simply be a strong correlation with people who see Level 11 as the natural endgame and people who aren't interested in Feats.
No. That doesn't match up with what WotC said.
My anecdotal experience is that nobody has wanted to even look at Feats, and were noticeably relieved when told they could just ignore them.
Sure, but I'm not using anecdotal experience. I'm going by what WotC has said they got from their surveys.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That's absolutely not the only thing we know. We also know that feats are extremely popular among players, which is why WotC keeps including them in their books via backgrounds and in the playtest.

What WotC said above means that. If most people love feats and most people don't use them AND most campaigns end before you get to your 2nd or 3rd ASI, then it's pretty plainly obvious it's because people feel that they need to raise stats early on.

No. That doesn't match up with what WotC said.

Sure, but I'm not using anecdotal experience. I'm going by what WotC has said they got from their surveys.
Yes, milliona of people use Feats. For every million people who use them, 2 or 3 million don't. I'm sure the reasons are diverse, but the main root cause is that as an optional module, they're pretty lame. The new approach is shaping up nicely, and one of the main benefits of the old system is thst WotC is free to basically ignore it, same as they would variant healing rules in the 2014 DMG.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That flies in the face of what they said. Something that only 1/3 of people use is NOT popular, let alone very popular.
1 out of 3 people is hugely popular, when you get into the millions of people playing¹. Clearly through goal here is to get a system that has more universal buy-in and unites the fanbase and for me it's working: it's just about the biggest change, really, but it doesn't break Backwards compatibility as shown by all the 5E books that already use 1st Level Feats.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
1 out of 3 people is hugely popular, when you get into the millions of people playing¹.
Not really. They shot for what? 70 or 80% with their UAs. To WotC 1 out of 3 is a failure. If they're calling it very popular, it's at LEAST 70% of players. I spelled out the logic of how to reconcile both of the things WotC has said about feats. Why is it so important to you that most players not like feats?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases