• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

So you have the Evasion class feature.... again...

Bront

The man with the probe
Is there ever an alternate for what you get if you already have Evasion and a PrC grants it again? I know some class features let you get an extra feat instead, but i've never seen that note by evasion.

Seems pertinant, because there are several PrCs that the best way to qualify for them gives you Evasion at L2, and then you get it at like L2 of the PrC as well. Seems like a waste.

Voadam

Legend
Same with taking multiple levels of monk and rogue or lots of ranger.

Nothing unless it is stated in the class or your DM house rules it.

An example of stating it explicitly would be the uncanny dodge stacking descriptions.

Under RAW it is possible to get redundant wasted powers that don't stack.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
My general answer to the player in question goes along the lines of:

Sucks to be you.

- - -

It is a waste - if you are a rogue or monk. The reality is that -in most situations- the evasion ability is in the prestige class because it seems essential to the class, but the designer wanted to make sure the class was open to non rogues and monks. To most characters taking the class in question (rogues and monks), there is no evasion boost at level 2, for other characters, they finally get to catch up with the rogues and monks in the class.

focallength

First Post
Getting evasion a second time makes it improved evasion (1/2 or nothing, instead of all or nothing)

Ya know not to be rude but I find that most of the "rules" questions simply require a little reading.

The Souljourner

First Post
focallength said:
Getting evasion a second time makes it improved evasion (1/2 or nothing, instead of all or nothing)

Ya know not to be rude but I find that most of the "rules" questions simply require a little reading.

Um... no. This is true of uncanny dodge, but not evasion and improved evasion. Not to be rude, but since you're so keen on doing a little reading, feel free to prove me wrong with a page number where you found your information.

However, it doesn't matter much anyway, improved evasion is rarely useful for those who get it. How often do you really see a rogue failing a reflex save at a level where he gets improved evasion? Pretty rarely, if ever. So... meh. Not that I don't think it would be a big deal if they did stack.

-The Souljourner

rowport

First Post
Souljourner beat me to it.

For your reference, here is the language for Evasion from the Monk SRD:
"Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion."

Murazor

First Post
focallength said:

Yes, and by actually reading, you'll find that you *don't* get Improved Evasion. There are PrCs which explicitely state that if you already have Evasion when you would otherwise gain it, you gain Improved Evasion instead. But this is an exception, not the standard. Thus no Improved Evasion for the Rogue2/Monk2.

Bront

The man with the probe
I knew no improved evasion. So, I guess it just sucks.

Is there a reason not to grand an extra feet? Or is this issue covered anywhere in the rules of "If a power is granted that a character already has, he could/should get something else the DM feels appropriate?" I was just wondering if there was a possable reference I missed.

Stalker0

Legend
I've often considered allowing a bonus feat if a player gets an overlapped ability...I think its a fine houserule...but again it is a houserule.

Bront

The man with the probe
Interestingly, the Master Thrower has the Evasion becomes Improved Evasion built into the class. Wonder if Wizards actualy rulled on that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads