So you've been wondering what good armor looks like

Sialia

First Post
hong, you amuse me greatly. But it's gonna be tough for me to do character portraits of those PCs.

The following page was extremely helpful in visualizing what FEMALE adventurers might actually wear in combat.

http://www.seattleknights.com/Cast/players.asp

These women are powerful and beautiful and well protected, and if more fantasy artists thought about things like this, there would be less need for pictures of women with their nipples and bellybuttons waiting to get sliced off.

You wanna paint nekked wimmen, fine.
You wanna paint adventurers, then give this some thought.

Dragongirl

First Post
Nice armor in that first site. Looks like 15th-16th century armor. I can't imagine the work that must go into making that stuff.

Sialia

First Post
Hours and hours and hours, and relentless attention to perfection.

When I was in college, Mac's workshop was in the basement of my dorm.

Pretty much any time of day you could hear him hammering. And if you had time to go down and hang out, he'd tell you more about medieval technology than any professor I paid the university to provide.

A brilliant man, and I miss being able to drop in on him.

Dragongirl

First Post
Sialia said:
Hours and hours and hours, and relentless attention to perfection.

When I was in college, Mac's workshop was in the basement of my dorm.

Pretty much any time of day you could hear him hammering. And if you had time to go down and hang out, he'd tell you more about medieval technology than any professor I paid the university to provide.

A brilliant man, and I miss being able to drop in on him.
Wow that would be neat to watch him work. He ever let you help him out? Just hold a piece while he hammered? I can understand why you miss it, but at least you did get to experience it.

Maldur

First Post
Sialia, I can imagine you mising that. Lucky you.
Maybe someone should copy these links into the 1000 links for RPGing thread.

Sialia

First Post
There were several people that went in and worked with him. A friend of mine did a truly incredible acid-etched, plumed steel helmet. She looked gorgeous in it.

If you were interested and willing to work, he usually had time for you. It was the dorm's metal shop, after all, so open to any member.

I wasn't brave enough to try armor. I listened a lot, but the complexity of the task boggled me, and I was intimidated easily in those days. I did do some small metal work in the shop--a pair or two of earrings as I recall, and he coached me on those a bit.

I spent more of my time over in the pottery studio. And, uh, in the music room, although usually, to tell the truth, I was gaming in there.

Those were fine, fine days.

MEG Hal

First Post
They are beautiful BUT is it really $1700 for a helm? Not saying it is not worth it just checking. If so I would be freaking to see what a full set would go for. I would need to slay a few dragons in order to pay for a full set. :D

Sialia

First Post
Hong, you got me to wondering.

I might need some photo references of modern body armor for some illos of my Delta Green campaign.

Who knows of a site with pictures of current military body armor?

Remove ads