Social Skills, starting to bug me.

Thanee

First Post
There is NOTHING WRONG with challenging the players' abilities. That's what GAMES are about. :hmm:

Certainly.

But a player who roleplays a Cha 8 character with zero social skills or other abilities like a silver-tongued smooth-talker is - in my view - not really roleplaying the character, but operating on a metagame level.

While not the same, it is similar in a way to reading the adventure (as a player) and solving all the puzzles because you know how to.

Obviously, there is a disparity here (especially with social abilties) between the portrayal of characters and solving challenges.

Bye
Thanee

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Given the AA goals in most US institutions of higher learning, yes I'd think they were quite keen to have you. :D
This is horribly OT, but I'm in higher ed and fascinated by this stuff: am I right your experiences in Texas higher education predated the era when they went from Affirmative Action admission to 'top 10% of graduates from every high school' admission for State Universities? The latter seems a lot fairer to me. Maybe PM me if you'd like to discuss it.

PM sent!

Mallus

Legend
I disagree with the idea that talking is the thing you need to simulate least.
You need to simulate speech less than the examples I listed (actual combat to the death, real live magic spell casting, working iron)!

Yup, and, believe it or not, we've learned a couple of things in the 40 years of game development since.
I'm not going to knock all the clever design work that's been done over last four decades. But newer designs offer new alternatives, not objectively better ones. RPG development isn't analogous to something like, say, computing.

OD&D/AD&D-style "players solve the puzzles/speak the words themselves" approach works as well today as it did in the 1970s. Obviously, the reliance on a good DM is a drawback. But any approach will have its drawbacks.

And, you tangentially hit on the need for social mechanics here.
For the record, I should reiterate I'm all for having social mechanics. I just turn them off when not needed.

One, it's cumbersome to try to just "talk it out" every single time.
No it's not. Preferring to "talk things out" does not imply bogging the game down with a lot of inconsequential, boring conversions. You're conflating free-form social encounters with pacing problems. For some reason...

While talking it out can be great fun, it can also drag and be incredibly boring, particularly if it takes significant time and only engages one player.
So it's important for a DM to know their group, have a handle on pacing, and, most importantly, have non-boring friends capable of amusing speech.

Watching someone role play talking it out with the gate guard for half an hour when the session is only three hours long isn't my idea of fun.
It's not my idea of fun, either. Why do you keep confusing a preference for light-to-no social encounter mechanics with gross pacing issues...

....because I can't find the right phrase to convince the DM to let me pass is also not my idea of fun.
... and terrible encounter design?

We're talking about D&D players. This is a game with THOUSANDS of pages of rules. Presuming that a D&D player has a basic grasp of math isn't exactly a stretch.
Hus, you've never seen a D&D player who's been bad with the rules/mechanics? I've seen quite a few. They aren't exactly unicorn-rare.

In fact, I'd say its a safer assumption to think that a D&D gamer has some grasp on mechanical systems.
And this neatly sums up the bias that runs through every thread on social mechanics. "Gamers have more logical-mathematical intelligence than linguistic/interpersonal intelligence. We're more Aspie than suave!".

Despite playing a highly social game that literally cannot be played without some form of (constant) conversation. I could just as easily say --like I already have-- D&D is very social game, played in groups, in a state of constant communication, therefore, D&D players should be pretty good at talking.

It's not like social mechanics are all that complicated.
The resolution mechanics themselves aren't complicated. But in games like 3e/Pathfinder, the real challenge/game is in scouring the rules for ways to boost your social skills. This can be somewhat... involved.

It's a big failure in (eg) GNS theory, they completely fail to understand that challenging the player supports immersion (actually they don't seem to value immersion at all AFAICT).
Excellent point. Nothing gives me the sense of "being" a PC like speaking their words, or do a lesser extent, solving some kind of puzzle by hand.

But a player who roleplays a Cha 8 character with zero social skills or other abilities like a silver-tongued smooth-talker is - in my view - not really roleplaying the character, but operating on a metagame level.
In a game like AD&D, there's nothing preventing a CHA 8 PC from being a smooth talker. A CHA 8 of grants no reaction bonus or penalty (however the PC can't have many loyal henchmen). How the PC comes across depends entirely on what the player says in character. This is the very heart of soul of role-playing, as far as I'm concerned. Role-playing is what you do in character during live play.

S'mon

Legend
But a player who roleplays a Cha 8 character with zero social skills or other abilities like a silver-tongued smooth-talker is - in my view - not really roleplaying the character.

Thinking about it, I completely disagree, I have no trouble with a silver-tongued smooth-talking CHA 8 PC, eg Swiss Tony:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtoyLPROLZI]Fast Show - Swiss Toni - YouTube[/ame]

Of course the world - the DM - will treat the CHA 8 PC appropriately, no matter how silver-tongued he might be.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
I'm ok with rolling social skills, but I feel that the rules of 3.x should give a bit more plot protection to important NPCs.

"I will help you if you help me! I need you to slay this dragon... Hmm, what did you say?"
(Successful diplomacy roll DC 30. Attitude changed from indifferent to helpful. Therefore the NPC is willing to take risks to help you.)
"Hey, that's a great idea! You don't need to slay any dragon, I will help you guys! You're my friends after all!"

The issue here is that I need to make all my NPCs unfriendly or hostile to give them ANY protection from that bard with high diplomacy modifier... Another tactic is that conversations are very brief, only few sentences.
What if you meet a king and roll a great diplomacy roll? The king is willing to take some risks to help you?

Rolling skill checks is ok but 3.x makes my life with social skills extremely hard! :rant:

Janx

Hero
Thinking about it, I completely disagree, I have no trouble with a silver-tongued smooth-talking CHA 8 PC, eg Swiss Tony:
Fast Show - Swiss Toni - YouTube

Of course the world - the DM - will treat the CHA 8 PC appropriately, no matter how silver-tongued he might be.

And that can be handled by consistently applying reaction and social skill checks where that 8 CHA applies.

As a player, this is where I prefer the GM to use the mechanics. I don't want him making my PC totally suck, because he has an exagerated opinion of how skeevy my PC is when he sees an 8 CHA.

Whereas technically, I should only fail a little more frequently than an average CHA PC (9-10).

Janx

Hero
I'm ok with rolling social skills, but I feel that the rules of 3.x should give a bit more plot protection to important NPCs.

"I will help you if you help me! I need you to slay this dragon... Hmm, what did you say?"
(Successful diplomacy roll DC 30. Attitude changed from indifferent to helpful. Therefore the NPC is willing to take risks to help you.)
"Hey, that's a great idea! You don't need to slay any dragon, I will help you guys! You're my friends after all!"

The issue here is that I need to make all my NPCs unfriendly or hostile to give them ANY protection from that bard with high diplomacy modifier... Another tactic is that conversations are very brief, only few sentences.
What if you meet a king and roll a great diplomacy roll? The king is willing to take some risks to help you?

Rolling skill checks is ok but 3.x makes my life with social skills extremely hard! :rant:

What if you fixed the social skill rules instead, so they weren't so goofy about what they could convince an NPC to do?

Rich Burlew had such an article on his site

Might be worth a gander.

Eric Tolle

First Post
Here's some direct evidence...

It is necessary to simulate in-game magic because out-of-game magic does not exist.
Not according to the real-life occultists I know. If you're unable to perform ritual magic ala Bonewitz in the game, then obviously you shouldn't be playing a magic-user.

It is necessary to simulate in-game melee combat because staging lethal sword fights in your living room is impractical. Also, illegal in most non-failed states.

Boffers are legal everywhere and cheap to make. And obviously an inability to engage in melee in close quarters merely reflects on your incompetence with weapons, and shows you should play a non- combatant. Maybe a healer, if you can demonstrate a knowledge of advanced first aid.

It is necessary to simulate things like horse riding, iron portcullis-lifting, and armor-crafting, et cetera because D&D is usually played in homes, apartments, and clubs, not in fields, actual dungeons, and forges.

You'd be amazed at how much of those thighs can be demonstrated or simulated with adaquete props. If not, a written descriptive test to show proper knowledge may be needed. Otherwise we can assume that the character can't ride our bend bars.

That's your assumption, not mine. That's nowhere near what I wrote.

I certainly never said there is no skill involved in speech -- that's pretty much the opposite of my position. I think speech/in-character negotiations represents as strategic and intellectual a challenge as anything in the game, which is why I'm hesitant to handle it too abstractly.

However unless there are no skills at all, by placing personal interactions in a "no skill" zone you are de facto making speech an unskilled item, where metagaming the referee is more important than the actual attributes of the character.

Yes. Just talking relies on DM adjudication.

More importantly, it relies far more on a metagame between the gm and the player, where the gm has all the power in the negotiation. It's no longer a matter of what the character says, but what the player says. Which I think is an unfair situation if there are abstract rules for other things the character can do.

The DM still needs to translate the skill check results into the appropriate NPC behavior, ie, the King won't give the PCs his entire army just because someone rolled a 32 for Diplomacy.

Unless that's what the stakes have been set up for ahead of time. I can see such a situation occurring on a high stakes negotiation in games such as FATE.

Which means a great deal of the social encounter is still being decided by the DM.

However, that social encounter is being decided based on the capability of the character vs. the NPC moderated by the referee, notbased on the capability of the player to directly please the referee.

My group likes, trusts, and respects one another. We don't need to rely on bribes (though I wouldn't turn down the occasional bottle of bourbon, if any of my players are reading this...).

Friendship and trust is irrelevant in this case. The example is bringing up the point that systemless social resolution is actually a metagame negotiation between a supplicant player and a all-powerful referee. Such systems are inherently more prone to corruption than rules-based systems. I personally prefer systems that put more power in the hands of the players.

S'mon

Legend

That Diplomacy table in 3e is possibly the worst piece of game design I've ever seen (at least 1e's Psionics & Unarmed Combat Rules are so complex you can ignore them before understanding them). I've always ignored that table, and AFAIK 4e has nothing similar.

Remove ads