D&D General Solasta: Crown of the Magister Offers A Hidden Fifth Edition Computer Gem

solastacotm-goblins-fight.png

Seven years in, one would think there would be an official Fifth Edition video game by now.

There are plenty of ways to play D&D electronically, such as the upcoming Dark Alliance action brawler or mobile versions of classics like Baldur’s Gate. Computer versions have yet to completely scratch the itch of playing a game with a Dungeon Master who can react to unexpected plans and adjust storylines on the fly. But they can still tell great stories and help out the dry periods when you can’t get a group together for whatever logistical reason.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister seeks out the audience looking for a computer RPG that uses the 5e rules set to tell its story. Kickstarted in 2019, it recently came out of Early Steam access looking to hook people who love D&D 5e and either can’t get enough or can’t get any. They sent me a code to try out the game after I covered it for a previous article. And while there’s some rough stuff going on, the underlying experience was engaging.

The game uses the 5e OGL as the basis for its game engine. Anyone familiar with 5e will know how combat works and those who don’t will learn soon after an amusing tutorial level where members of your party are telling tales of their adventures about how they got to the tavern. Unfortunately, this also means the game is restricted to the content available in the OGL, which means six base classes and humans, elves, dwarves and halflings as character options. There are some unique choices like snow dwarves or marsh halflings, but the options are far more limited than the standard Player’s Handbook.

The game also is rough technically. The character models are not great up close, load times can be a bit long and there are occasional sound glitches. The voice acting ranges from bad to decent with everyone speaking in an accent best described as a solid Ren Faire English. An official D&D game would have a lot more polish in these areas and it can be a little distracting sometimes during cutscenes or other non-combat moments.

The combat, however, is great. Not only does it run on a smooth version of the 5e engine but the set piece battles offer great variety. There’s a vertical aspect to the dungeons that’s really stunning and it opens up encounters in a way that rarely happens in tabletop grid combats. The game encourages exploration and tactical thinking in a way that makes fights more dramatic than they would be with a more grind-focused setup. The game wants you to fly and rain down spells or find that rock that you can push down on some zombies. Dungeon Masters looking to make their home game battles more dynamic should take note.

Another dynamic element is the party construction. Rather than a main character and sidekicks, the dialogue choices come from the entire party. Their personality traits affect the choices but it’s fun talking with quest giving NPCs as a group rather than a main character. It made me feel a little like a film director choosing when my sarcastic fighter would say something or my noble paladin would step in to smooth over negotiations.

The game is also expanding. It plans on adding some classes as well as setting up a Dungeon Master mode where players can create and upload new campaigns beyond the first. As a nice touch the game offers notes on skill choices that won’t turn up often in the main campaign but might still be useful in future content.

Fans of 5e looking for battle action and a decent high fantasy storyline on their PC should check out Solasta: Crown of the Magister.

Rob Wieland

Rob Wieland

dalisprime

Explorer
I would personally advise anyone against dropping money on it right now. It may be out of early access but the amount of bugs makes it feel like it's still in beta. The ending of the game also feels incredibly underwhelming considering what's at stake.

Larrin

Entropic Good
I've been enjoying it greatly.

One cool thing is they give a lot of rule freedom to you. Lots of check boxes for "max hp on level up" and "enforce empty hand needed for somatic spells" and %damage taken from monster sliders. You can make it easy if you just want fun, you can make it authentic if you just want fun, and you could make it really punishing if you just wanted "fun". Want to play with all 18's in your abilities. Go ahead. Want to roll until you get an array you like, can do. I can set the experience to what I want my game to be like.

The combat is also very satisfying. A good breadth of choices, good implementation of mechanics, meaty hits, annoying misses. It's D&D combat and it's fun.

The models and voice acting are a bit laughable, and I'm fine with that. I like the crunch of the game, and it's really what I wanted it to be.

Except the camera. It's NOT deal-breaker bad, but the camera fights with me. It tasks me. I don't know if it's my settings, my computer, or if it's the "cameras are hard" effect is showing up.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Apparently it's better than the official Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, produced by WotC. Which doesn't give me hope for a certain product I can't discuss (NDA) ;)
I think you are confusing the Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance HD port with Dark Alliance.

I'm not a video game guy, but I love the idea that someday thus thing might be modified enough to work as my VT.

I dream of a day when I can use three dimensions easily, automate some of the monsters, and track spell durations and such with ease.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm not a video game guy, but I love the idea that someday thus thing might be modified enough to work as my VT.

I dream of a day when I can use three dimensions easily, automate some of the monsters, and track spell durations and such with ease.
The dungeon maker allows you to make a video game scenario.... Butt not really trip use it as a VTT.... I've posted on discord asking if anyone can think of how to make that work, but the comments were snarky at best.... So far, I don't see an easy way to make that work.... No 3D VTT is even close yet to what you want. I own several... And none are close.

jsaving

Adventurer
I think Solasta is best described as 2021's Neverwinter Nights. The engine is great and its dungeon creator mode offers a lot of soon-to-be-tapped potential. However the campaign that's actually included with the game is a bit of an afterthought quality-wise, not "bad" but nowhere near what you'd be expecting if you're used to classics like BG2, Kingmaker, Pillars, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases