• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

soldier instead of warlord

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Hi, warlord name thread. My, you're much shorter than when I last saw you.

Anyway, I'd like warlord to instead be 'Warrior.' Recycle the name from the 3E NPC class (since I doubt it will be needed in 4E.)

Then:
Martial Defender: Fighter - fights and fights well
Martial Leader: Warrior - to me, the name implies more of a team player without being rank or profession specific (like Captain or Soldier.)

Mad Mac

First Post
The thing I do like about Warlord is that it's a civilian rank (No one in an organized army has the rank warlord) and can be applied to leaders of bands of any size. A bandit leader can be considered a Warlord, as can a feared mercenary captain leading an army of thousands.

I know the name bugs people, but I think it's better than any of the alternatives I've heard.

am181d

Adventurer
Personally, I prefer "Commander", as it has a military connotation, but it also means, simply, "one who commands." And, from what we know so far, that's a fair description of what the class does.

But I'm not going to begrudge Travis Morgan a class of his own, if that's what the man wants.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I'm sticking with my usual recommendation of Captain.

Though really, my only beef with "Warlord" (class abbreviation, WLD) is that it's too similar to Warlock (class abbreviation, WLK). There's just too much crowding in the W section of class names. :)

EDIT: great point, Mourn

GoodKingJayIII

First Post
Piratecat said:
I like Warlord a lot. I'd like it more if it wasn't so close to Warlock.

That I can agree with. They are pretty similar and it could cause confusion.

In other news, I think this is the first time I've been quoted by Piratecat. A milestone, for certain. Party at my house.

The Little Raven

First Post
Celebrim said:
I'd prefer fighters kill warlords and take thier stuff.

So, fighters should have both Defender and Leader, while other classes simply have one role?

Nah. The ability to stab someone really well does not necessarily translate to the ability to coordinate and inspire your allies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads