• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

soldier instead of warlord

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
GoodKingJayIII said:
In other news, I think this is the first time I've been quoted by Piratecat. A milestone, for certain. Party at my house.
Whoo hoo, free beer just 'cause Jay has skewed priorities! I'm in! :D

pawsplay

Hero
Soldier would never work. Most little S "soldiers" would actually be fighters. The Warlord is a very specific kind of soldier... or may not be a soldier at all! Many Warlords might be barbarian chiefs, warrior queens, town mayors, or even plucky squires.

Aage

First Post
What I would go for (and will, with my magic name-change button) is actually knight... I think it fits the concept..

WhatGravitas

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
In your game then house rule the name and change it. Problem solved! :)

Seriously, why are people so hung up on names? Just CHANGE THEM. There are no adverse issues that arise from changing a name you don't like to something else...
See, that's exactly the reason, why I only dislike stuff like the Wizard Implements - because the silly names may spawn mechanics inspired by them. And because I've read the (much better) original before - with a slightly different idea of mechanics (i.e. implements determine what spells you're good at, now tradition determines implement and spells), at least I've got the impression.

Well, I'm a houseruling gearhead, so it's not that bad. But warlord doesn't bother me at all, I've seen worse alternatives.

Cheers, LT.

Irda Ranger

First Post
I wonder if the problem some people have with Warlord is that the common usage today equates Warlordism with petty tyranny and thuggish, anti-democratic government. If you had to pick ten people in the world today who qualified as "Warlords", I bet none of them are very nice. (and please don't actually list the ten you think should be on that list - no politics) In fact, "Human Rights Violations" and "Warlord" are almost always found together in the news.

Warlordism in China is associate with the civil war / chaos preceding the Communist rise, so no warm feelings there. Historical warlordism is Western Europe is often associate with mercenary captains who establish a civil authority in the absence of a central government. That's a very point-of-lightish thing to do at 12th level ... but at 1st?

I guess it's just a name you have to grow into. After all, when you hear wizard, you think Merlin, or Gandalf, right? Hardly a one-spell wonder like "Joe Wand, 1st level Conjurer of Cheap Tricks"; but Joe Wand is a Wizard too right?

I gues the same is true for Warlord. Gotta start somewhere ..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads