D&D 5E Somatic and Verbal - Value Added?

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Are verbal and somatic components worth the added complication?

Nope. At some point during the playtest (IIRC, the entire playtest, up until very very close to release), the rule was that all spells require verbal, somatic, and material components unless otherwise stated. This was a great rule. Unfortunately, in the end, they decided the traditional "ball of bat guano and sulfur" was too much of a sacred cow.

delericho

Legend
I recall there being a vocalise spell in earlier editions which allowed casters to cast their spells without verbal components. Not sure what the components of the spell were, it would be ironic if it had a verbal component.

S, M (a bell with no clapper).

Bayonet

First Post
I use verbal and somatic because binding a wizard hands or silence is worth while and adds to the game IMO. I do not use material components expect in a few rare cases like raise dead because I can tie that into quest etc to raise a dead ally. Kind of depends on what school of magic do you like from reading.

Components big pain in the dairy air except in a few cases where it makes sense from a story line prospective so i dodge them. The other two I use because I think it has added value does not always come in play but does on some fights and I keep it simple.

I'd go the same way on this. I like the fact that magic users can be crippled if silenced or bound, and that the loss of a spell focus or component pouch can make them the magic equivalent of a Champion Fighter with a shiv, so I keep them in the game. I only really get into the component debate when a PC's spell calls for something of worth (1000gp ruby, or whatever) then I just rule that they have what they need, they just burn the gp value to cast.

mrpopstar

Sparkly Dude
If for no other reason than for their to be some spells which work even in silence, and for their to be the possibility of escape via spell when otherwise physically stuck.
I agree that these opportunities are important, but I think it would be easier to assume that all spells have a verbal and somatic component, and that these spells make exception an to that general rule within their descriptions.

Are verbal and somatic components worth the added complication?
I think so.
I like that magic is different that swinging a sword and has different rules. It's not just an X-Men superpower, but you go through this little ritual. I like the flavour and esoteric touch it brings to magic.

Unfortunately, the rules a little spread out and early references don't really direct you to the right place. But once you learn the rules it's easy to ignore.

But your mileage might vary, and not everyone thinks the same. I think it's odd to be able to cast a spell while, oh, two weapon fighting. But if you want to play in a game where your TWF shoots magic missiles out of their eyes, it doesn't affect me in the slightest. But it's always easier to ignore a small rule like that than have to make up your own.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Not that it is germane to the question, but the one thing I love seeing because of the complete illogic of the statement is...

"handwaving Somatic components"

:)

Horwath

Legend
try to keep it simple.

If you're gagged or silenced you cannot cast spells with "V" components. Also you should look into the volume of the voice itself. Im kind of tired that most DM's think that wizards cast spells by shouting from the top of their lungs like a raving lunatic.

IF your hands are tied or if you're carring something heavy with both hands or bound somehow you cannot cast spells with "S" components.

As for material, most of them arent spent anyway while casting, so if you aren't mugged or in jail stripped of belongings you are considered to have spellcomponent pouch. Just track expensive ones and consuming ones.

hejtmane

Explorer
try to keep it simple.

If you're gagged or silenced you cannot cast spells with "V" components. Also you should look into the volume of the voice itself. Im kind of tired that most DM's think that wizards cast spells by shouting from the top of their lungs like a raving lunatic.

IF your hands are tied or if you're carring something heavy with both hands or bound somehow you cannot cast spells with "S" components.

As for material, most of them arent spent anyway while casting, so if you aren't mugged or in jail stripped of belongings you are considered to have spellcomponent pouch. Just track expensive ones and consuming ones.

Me I never liked the magic that had material components as a concept seems more like alchemy and con artist. That is my view of magic I mean depending on what books you read depends on how they do magic everyone has their preference I know what mine are so I do not use material components it is just not how I see magic.

Remove ads