• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some help on Verticle Movement

Bozidar

First Post
2 questions, both on moving, up, up, up..

If a character has Fly 40, with good manuverability, how far can he fly up if alls he does is try to go as fast as he can?

If a character has spider climb cast on him, how fast can he climb up a wall at max speed? (it grants you movement of climb 20')

Can you take a hustle vertically, when flying or climbing? Can you run, or double run?

Let me know, please, i can't find the rules on this anywhere.

Magic Slim

First Post
A creature with a Fly speed of 40' and good maneuvrability can climb at half speed. So, if the creature takes a double-move, it can climb 40' per round.

A character affected by a spider climb has a speed of 20' when climbing. The spell desription states that the character cannot run. The maximum distance that can be climbed in a round is by taking a double move, and thus, 40'.

In combat, when you move your speed, you're hustling. So if you're flying or climbing in combat, you're actually hustling. You can't run while climbing (with spider climb) or flying (affected by the fly spell). The spell descriptions of both those spells state that you can't run.

Slim

shilsen

Adventurer
Bozidar said:
i realize this about the fly spell, but what if said character has wings? :) Can they do a double move up? can they run up?

Yes, the character can do a double move up, since good maneuverability allows absolutely vertical (not verticle, btw) movement. Since max speed at the time would be half, a creature with a speed of 40 would cover 40 ft in the round while taking a double move. It can't run vertically, since a flying creature must move in a straight horizontal to take the run action.

The DMG (3.5) has the info about flying movement on pg. 20.

Last edited:

Bozidar

First Post
shilsen said:
It can't run vertically, since a flying creature must move in a straight horizontal to take the run action.

The DMG (3.5) has the info about flying movement on pg. 20.
It doesn't say that it must move on a horizontal to take a run action.

Btw, couldn't it take a run action down, also?

Magic Slim

First Post
From the SRD:

Up Speed: How fast the creature can climb.

Code:
[color=white]Table: Maneuverability
 	Maneuverability
 	Perfect	[b]Good[/b]	Average	Poor	Clumsy
Minimum forward speed	None	None	Half	Half	Half
Hover	Yes	Yes	No	No	No
Move backward	Yes	Yes	No	No	No
Reverse	Free	–5 ft.	No	No	No
Turn	Any	90º/5 ft.	45º/5 ft.	45º/5 ft.	45º/10 ft.
Turn in place	Any	+90º/–5 ft.	+45º/–5 ft.	No	No
Maximum turn	Any	Any	90º	45º	45º
Up angle	Any	Any	60º	45º	45º
[b]Up speed[/b]	Full	[b]Half[/b]	Half	Half	Half
Down angle	Any	Any	Any	45º	45º
Down speed	Double	Double	Double	Double	Double
Between down and up	0	0	5 ft.	10 ft.	20 ft.
[/color]

Maximum vertical speed for a creature with good mneuverability is half its flying speed.

Slim

edit: bleh I don't feel like doing the layout. The bold entries indicate what's important...

Last edited:

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Here's my question about flying:

Suppose you're flying along, minding your own business, when out of the clouds behind you pops a flying wizard who fireballs you. Angry, you want to turn around and attack him.

How tight a turn can you make, and how long does it take you to make a 180-degree turn? I know this varies by maneuverability class, but I can't make heads or tails of it. Does "maximum turn" define the maximum turn you can make in a single round? With a single move-action? In a single square?

Daniel

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads