Some house rules for weapon breakage in RPGs ...

Hi folks - So weapon breakage in RPGs .... is it something you do/have rules for in your RPG?

If not maybe you should. This wee rule inclusion in your game can really spicy combat up a bit. See the link below for some house rules and weapon breakage tables that could be useful in your game.

Broken Sword.png

Oh and there is a video about it too ... have a look at

Weapon Breakage in RPGs

Weapons breakage for your Tabletop RPG.png

Edgar Ironpelt

Adventurer
Rules for weapons breaking is something I house-rule removed from my TFT game. My view is that game and house-rule designers tend to set the breakage probabilities too high, and that weapon-breaking rules should be limited to cases where a figure is using a weapon that's noteworthy for being cheap and shoddy (or improvised) or to cases where the attacker makes a "break weapon" or "sunder" called-shot attack.

Back when I was doing a lot of traditional archery with home-made bowstrings, I did suffer a few "bowstring breaks" events. If typical "bowstring breaks" house rules were realistic, I would have had it happen about one hundred times as often.

For cheap and shoddy weapons where random-weapon-breaking rules make sense to me, my house rule is that the "your weapon breaks" results happen on a critical hit, rather than on a bad "fumble" miss.

When put in general use, weapon breakage rules do spice up combat - the way ground black pepper would spice up a slice of lemon meringue pie.

Rules for weapons breaking is something I house-rule removed from my TFT game. My view is that game and house-rule designers tend to set the breakage probabilities too high, and that weapon-breaking rules should be limited to cases where a figure is using a weapon that's noteworthy for being cheap and shoddy (or improvised) or to cases where the attacker makes a "break weapon" or "sunder" called-shot attack.

Back when I was doing a lot of traditional archery with home-made bowstrings, I did suffer a few "bowstring breaks" events. If typical "bowstring breaks" house rules were realistic, I would have had it happen about one hundred times as often.

For cheap and shoddy weapons where random-weapon-breaking rules make sense to me, my house rule is that the "your weapon breaks" results happen on a critical hit, rather than on a bad "fumble" miss.

When put in general use, weapon breakage rules do spice up combat - the way ground black pepper would spice up a slice of lemon meringue pie.
Yeah totally fair enough - such a mechanic really depends on the type and style of the game. For gritty, crunchy style versions of RPGs I think it can work and enhance a game.
For more narrative games not so much.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Erm, Imma take a stab at progressive weapon damage:

Roll a 1, and you damage your weapon: degrade by one die type.
Roll another 1, and you've broken your weapon. It still does d4 damage, but that's it.
You can choose not to roll your weapon damage, but then it's only half effective.

That means that a d8 weapon gets damaged after (edit: during), on average, 8 attacks. I hope that's not realistic, but then, how many mass-manufactured weapons stayed flawless? So, maybe after 7 attacks, that weapon becomes a d6. If you're lucky, you get another 5 attacks out of that weapon before it "breaks." The broken weapon continues to do d4 damage after 14 attacks. So, still a weapon, but quite beat-up.

Add some longevity for choosing half-effectiveness, and I think you have a good candidate for medieval mass-production.

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Yup. Weapons in my OD&D (1974) house rules can be damaged in combat. Any time that a hit is scored with a weapon on a roll result of natural 20 (i.e. a result of 20 on the die) or a weapon is used to parry against a roll result of natural 20, roll two six-sided dice. If the result of this roll is snake eyes (a result of two 1s), the weapon in question has been broken and needs to be repaired before it is good as anything other than an improvised weapon.

Yup. Weapons in my OD&D (1974) house rules can be damaged in combat. Any time that a hit is scored with a weapon on a roll result of natural 20 (i.e. a result of 20 on the die) or a weapon is used to parry against a roll result of natural 20, roll two six-sided dice. If the result of this roll is snake eyes (a result of two 1s), the weapon in question has been broken and needs to be repaired before it is good as anything other than an improvised weapon.
Nice - simple and easy to remember rules.

Erm, Imma take a stab at progressive weapon damage:

Roll a 1, and you damage your weapon: degrade by one die type.
Roll another 1, and you've broken your weapon. It still does d4 damage, but that's it.
You can choose not to roll your weapon damage, but then it's only half effective.

That means that a d8 weapon gets damaged after, on average, 8 attacks. I hope that's not realistic, but then, how many mass-manufactured weapons stayed flawless? So, maybe after 7 attacks, that weapon becomes a d6. If you're lucky, you get another 5 attacks out of that weapon before it "breaks." The broken weapon continues to do d4 damage after 14 attacks. So, still a weapon, but quite beat-up.

Add some longevity for choosing half-effectiveness, and I think you have a good candidate for medieval mass-production.
Nice one GM Michael - again simple and easy to remember rules.

Jahydin

Hero
I think Baulder's Gate (PC game) had a 2% chance of breaking each swing and that was due to good quality iron and steel being scarce. Anything higher than that just seems incredibly punishing.

Now, if you want your D&D games to resemble the latest Zelda games where you're constantly switching out weapons, then by all means! :)

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Sunder - such a weird concept when I start thinking about it. It seems reasonable to attempt to break someone's weapon when you think about it. "Enemy have weapon. If break weapon, enemy not have weapon." Then I realize that there's an important reason that most combatants don't decide to break weapons: if you stop attacking your opponent, i.e. attack your opponent's weapon, you'll probably get stabbed and die.

So that leaves sunder attempts to combatants who don't have to worry about dying, like those following the rules of sport or game, or supremely unmatched opponents . . . but I digress.

That's kinda fun. Make PCs pay for their double-damage. No free meals, right?

Sorry, gotta math this out . . . odds of a 20 roll, 1:20. Odds of snake-eyes, 1:36. Odds of a broken weapon on any single exchange, 1:720. Hmm, OD&D. Is that 1 attack per round, or did higher levels mean more attacks? With 1 attack and 1 weapon-enabled parry per round, that's 360 rounds, and with the urban-legend 5-round-average combat, that's 72 opponents (defeated, assuming no resurrections).

If a PC using my above module uses a two-handed weapon (d10) and always chooses to roll damage, he'll break the weapon (down to a d4) after a maximum (statistically) of 18 attacks. That's 6 all-out attack rounds, maybe 2 whole opponents.

I'd expect my non-master-forged, and affordable, weapon to last a bit longer than 2 opponents, but not quite through 72 opponents (or even 36, the more average result). We could use some common ground.

@Jahydin , my Oblivion character's weapons seemed to degrade down to 10% after each quest, and sometimes during each quest. Thoroughly annoying, but pretty reasonable given how much walloping I was doing. It makes me think that there's an important balance going on between fun, realism, and rate-of-fighting . . . It's funny that some people use "5-minute workday" with a bad connotation: if you're at war, sure, you can expect hours of fighting in a day. If you're not at war, 5 minutes of fighting is a horrible day, but you at least expect your weapon not to break during those 5 minutes.

Remove ads