Some new O.L.D. races

Sniperfox47

First Post
Not that I want to get into a legal debate (the OGL has been discussed ad nauseum, and the topic makes me want to stab my own eyes out these days!) but s2 makes it clear that any OGC cannot have any other terms or conditions applied to it other than the OGL itself. You don't always have to use the OGL to make use of OGC, of course - but it's a safe harbour and makes it easy.

That's precisely what I meant.I can't take your rules and rewrite them under a new license, nor make a version or variant of any of your content under a different license, but I may develop content compatible with your system under a license other than the OGL, so long as I do not re-license any of your work in my new work. For example I could create a web-content setting "book" for your game under my tried and true license:

[EDIT] corrected a copy-paste error on my phone with the below license:
"Content published with permission of the owners. All rights waived. In areas of legislation where copyright may not be waived, treat as if issued under the creative commons zero (CC0) license.
http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/
To the extent possible under law, the person who associated CC0 with this work has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.
This work is published from: Canada."

so long as I do not reproduce any of your content or tradecraft.

P.s. I apologize for my terrible spelling. Your site isn't very phone friendly.

[EDIT] I'm sorry, I should drop the subject but its important to me for two reasons A) derivative software cannot be licensed under the OGL, and B) If I'm forced to publish under the OGL I will not be publishing content for your game. I'm not going to contribute content via any license that limits user freedom.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's precisely what I meant.I can't take your rules and rewrite them under a new license, nor make a version or variant of any of your content under a different lisence, but I may develop content compatible with your system under a lisence other than the OGL, so long as I do not relisence any of your work in my new work. For example I could create a web-content setting "book" for your game under my tried and true license: "Content published with permission of the owners. All rights waived. In areas of legislation where copyright may not be waived, treat as if issued under the creative commons zero (CC0) license.", so long as I do not reproduce any of your content or tradecraft.

I can't offer legal advice, I'm afraid! I'm not qualified! I'll be using the OGL because it's well-known and simple to use, has a strong history in the tabletop gaming industry, and folks should not have any trouble with it. If you want to do something different to that, you'll need to handle the legalities yourself. :)

P.s. I apologize for my terrible spelling. Your site isn't very phone friendly.

Try Tapatalk! It's an app designed specifically for posting on vBulletin messageboards.

Sniperfox47

First Post
I know you can't. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to get into a discussion with you about it, I simply wanted to mention it from the aspect that it might be worth putting a zone for it in the database.

Sniperfox47

First Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just got home and did a reading of the Open Game License. I was wrong, it is share-alike, not share left, but it would still definitely be worth adding a separate entry zone for license if you support third party developers.

The Open Game License only explicitly makes mechanical aspects of the system, and parts directly derived from Open Game Content, into Open Game Content.

Any other content (such as characters, races, classes, abilities, trade dress, ect.) is considered Product Identity, unless explicitly stated as also being Open Game Content, and may be freely intermixed with Open Game Content provided it is clearly indicated which content is, and is not, Open Game Content.

Version I read was version 1.0a, I'm not sure if WotC has published a newer revision.

Atom Mlatom

First Post
Ahem. This is all well and good, but uh, thanks for hijacking my thread about the encouraging of posting new content into a lengthier discussion about OGL. Pssh. :p

Sniperfox47

First Post
Ahem. This is all well and good, but uh, thanks for hijacking my thread about the encouraging of posting new content into a lengthier discussion about OGL. Pssh. :p

I apologize. You're completely correct, and that wasn't fair to you. I should have handled that discussion in a PM, rather than your thread and I'm sorry. If a Moderator or Administrator would be kind enough to hide or remove my off-topic posts I would greatly appreciate it.

All that aside though, I decided that I'll publish one of the traditions we made ahead of time, under the minimal license the forum requires, with the intention of licensing them under either CC0 or the OGL at a later point in time. Just need to draw up two monsters to go with it first.

Atom Mlatom

First Post
All that aside though, I decided that I'll publish one of the traditions we made ahead of time, under the minimal license the forum requires, with the intention of licensing them under either CC0 or the OGL at a later point in time. Just need to draw up two monsters to go with it first.

Muahahahaha! Can't wait to see em. :)

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
So, on the subject of races for O.L.D. (and N.E.W.) here's a race I made, adapted differently form both games.

Crystal Trolls/Silicoids are a Crystalline race. They are physically translucent/transparent and tend to sparkle in strong light.

Crystal Trolls tend to be angular in appearance, but not rough. Smooth curves ending at sharp angles, occasional clefts and visible inclusions.

Silicoids are smooth and polished, looking like carefully machined statues or masterful sculptures carved from solid Quartz.

Both races have a variety of body tones, across the whole spectrum of Quartzes and Glasses, though rose is common, and Amethyst tend to be recruited into priesthood or other religious roles.

Crystal Trolls 20 Years
Unlike their rougher, more violent, and stupider cousins, Crystal Trolls are intelligent, sociable, civilized, and culturally developed. According to their ancestral legends their progenitors were born directly from raw crystal in caves deep in their home mountains, by the influence of Elemental Life bleeding into the stone. These caves are still holy sites for them, and often at the core of their cities, carved directly into the stone face of the mountains.
Str 3 Agi 2 End 4 Int 3 Wil 3 Cha 4 Luc 1 Mag 1
Climbing, Mining, Stone-masonry, Religion, Throwing Weapon
Crystalline Race: Soak (Stabbing/Cutting) 5, Vulnerable Sonic
Crystal Sympathy: Can invest 1 MP above normal limit into Crystal Spell Lists (max 1 per spell)
Silicoids 20 Years
Silicoids hail from a world that orbits their sun at the very inner edge of the “Goldilocks Zone”. In human like environments, they tend to stiffen up a bit. Composed largely of psycho-active silicate crystals, Silicoids have a natural low level psionic power, and an affinity for Psi-manipulating powers.
It’s worth noting, a Silicoids brain analog is a solid mass of Psychoactive Crystal and if extracted from their heads, serves as a Small Focus Crystal. Several other Silicoid internal organs are unique high quality Gemstones. Trafficking in Silicoid Crystalline organs is lucrative, and a good way to end up being fed feet first through an atomic disassembler feet first while conscious if you get caught. Silicoid legal systems view possession of silicoid organs as trafficking.
Str 3 Agi 2 End 4 Int 3 Wil 3 Cha 4 Luc 1 Psi 1
Crysto-Organic Life Sciences, Crafting, Engineering, Crystal Tech, Art, Psionic Technology
Crystalline Race: Soak (Stabbing/Cutting) 5, Vulnerable Sonic
Psycho Active Crystal: Can manifest (Intellect manipulation) Psionic Powers
for 1 HP less (min 1 HP)

Atom Mlatom

First Post
Cool stuff [MENTION=70582]TiwazTyrsfist[/MENTION]. Not something I would have imagined before. I especially like how they're not presented as an "evil" race, but there's a potentially profitable motive for murdering them. lol.

Remove ads