Some notes on Spam Control & New Users

LordFlameStryke

First Post
So, does this mean I have to post several messages because I had to rebuild my OS and lost everything? I downloaded the same file about a month ago with no problems, not even being registered (apparently, since my email address didn't send any flags when I reregistered), yet now I can't download the file at all? There is nothing on the page indicating it requires a subscription, and I know I didn't have a subscription when I downloaded it last time.....

I really don't want to post spam (which this rule is supposed to curb) nor do I want to spend hours searching through the entire message board database to find something I can reply to that is worth what I would be sending.....

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So, does this mean I have to post several messages because I had to rebuild my OS and lost everything? I downloaded the same file about a month ago with no problems, not even being registered (apparently, since my email address didn't send any flags when I reregistered), yet now I can't download the file at all? There is nothing on the page indicating it requires a subscription, and I know I didn't have a subscription when I downloaded it last time.....

I don't really know what any of that means or what it refers to, but the link posting limit does not stop you downloading anything. It just stops you posting links.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
And if Lord flame stryke is a former member of en world, he should use the link to recover the password.

LordFlameStryke

First Post
Scott: it's not the posts that I object to, it's that the spam filter seems to encourage spam. And if I was a former member, when reregestering with my email address it would have told me I have an account, which it didn't.

Morrus: When I try to download a link, I'm referred to a page with a lovely box stating that I don't have permission to access the page.

The page I'm trying to download from is at rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234, and the result I get states the following:

"You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
You are trying to use a feature available only to Community Supporter Subscribers. This includes Search, access to Exclusive Content and more."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Scott: it's not the posts that I object to, it's that the spam filter seems to encourage spam.

If you have a better suggestion, I'm all ears! This is the best solution to the thousands of daily spambots I've been able to come up with in 16 years. It has nothing to do with your downloading issue, though.

That said, the spambot limit is currently set at 3 posts, so if you post once more it might be worth rechecking.

Morrus: When I try to download a link, I'm referred to a page with a lovely box stating that I don't have permission to access the page.

The page I'm trying to download from is at rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1234, and the result I get states the following:

How odd. I can't see anything in your account that would cause that. Does that happen with all of the files on that page, or just a particular one? Does it happen when trying to download files from elsewhere in the downloads area?

LordFlameStryke

First Post
When I click on the Download All Files button, I get that message. When I click on any of the individual file links, it only refreshes the page. The links appear to have individual file IDs, but nothing is downloaded.

It appears the same thing happens on other pages as well. Clicking on file links refreshes the page, while clicking on the button refers me to the page indicating I don't have permission.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
When I click on the Download All Files button, I get that message. When I click on any of the individual file links, it only refreshes the page. The links appear to have individual file IDs, but nothing is downloaded.

It appears the same thing happens on other pages as well. Clicking on file links refreshes the page, while clicking on the button refers me to the page indicating I don't have permission.

Maybe I need to call for super [MENTION=52905]darjr[/MENTION] for this.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

I see to recall someone else having a similar issue, and it turned out to be security settings in their browser. Maybe try checking those, or seeing if the problem persists with a different browser?

LordFlameStryke

First Post
Well, that seemed to work, although I don't know why. I use Chrome, so all the settings and extensions were carried over from my previous installation, and everything downloaded just fine then. Just now it's not working right.....

But at least I know I can still use Internet Exploder to download stuff. Thanks.

Remove ads